Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by RockyRider13, May 19, 2002.

1. RockyRider13

RockyRider13 1/2 ton status

Well, I am looking to replace my stock '89 gas blazer with an older, tougher one. My ideas include a diesel w/ a manual. I don't know much about diesels, just that I am going to want to have somthing that is either new or rebuilt, has a turbo, and gets good milage. I am looking for input on wiether to go the banks 6.2 route, a new 6.5, or what. And is putting a manual behind it going to be a problem?

2. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

You're going to have a very, very hard time finding what you're looking for. Diesel Blazers aren't all that common. Blazers with manual transmissions are even harder to find. Solid front axle Blazers were never offfered with the 6.5. What you're essentaly going to be looking for is a pretty heavily modified Blazer. Most likley the only way you're going to get what you're looking for is to build it yourself. Buy an old Diesel Blazer and either put a banks turbo on it or swap in a 6.5. You may get lucky and find a Diesel with a manual tranny, I've seen a few. If you really want a manual you'll probly have to put one in yourself (which I've done and I can give you some tips if you want).

3. RockyRider13

I realize that i am probably going to just buy a blazer w/ a straight body and shot drivetrain. My question was your opinion on which engine and tranny to go with. I just don't know how it is to live w/ diesels, and was looking for some advice.

4. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

There are a lot of different ways the engine could be configured. In general the later the model year of the engine the better the block will be. A 6.5 turbo would probably be better than a Banks kit because the 6.5 turbo is wastegated. Stay away from the electronic injector pumps used on the '94 and up 6.5's, they had all kinds of problems. Most of the parts from the 6.2 and 6.5 are interchangeable. A 6.5 is probably best because it can handle more power. If you really want to know how best to set up your Diesel join the GM diesel page http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/. A manual transmission is best behind a diesel, automatics usually don't hold up to the torque very well. If you can afford it an nv4500 would be best because it has an overdrive gear. Diesels like to turn slowly and without over drive you won't be very comfortable cruising above 60 (loud). Converting an automatic to a manual transmission wouldn't be that complicated if you did it as part of a restoration/build up. Just swapping one in could get a little complicated.

5. RockyRider13

Any suggestions where I buy my engine from? I've looked at a few places and crate engines were 3k and up. Is there anywhere else that i should look? Is a used engine that I have rebuilt a better way to go?

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

The Diesel Depot 800-553-8192

7. RockyRider13

I was looking at their advertisment on thedieselpage. They do not list any prices for their engines. The 6.5's come n/a, how much would a turbo setup be for them?

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I called them a little over a year ago for prices, they were reasonable then. I think there higher now.