Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to do??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shane74, Sep 24, 2002.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have a line on a 3/4 ton corp. 10 bolt front axle with 4:11 gears, warm supreme hubs, and a locker for $200. It has new brakes, bearings, and steering arm. The tie rod is bent, but that doesn't worry me (I'd get a rock rod anyway). I know it is a great price, but from what I have been told, my 1/2 ton D44 is just as strong as the corp 10 bolt. I have been wanting to go 8 lug for awhile, but the $$ has been a little slow. Here is what I am thinking...

Buy the 10 bolt and a 14 bolt FF to slap in right now. Build my D44 into a 3/4 ton w/ chromoly axles. My question is if I convert my D44, will I be able to use the gears and locker in it in the future? I want a heavy duty setup and I am wondering if this is a good route to take. I know i can pick up a 14 bolt pretty cheap. I'm thinking it'll cost me about $500 for the axle with the right gears and a locker/posi unit in it. I need thoughts/advice. Any ideas?

I'm thinking this would be a great setup especially when I drop in my 454. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You could just put the 8 lug outers on your Dana 44 and sell the 10 bolt locker to pay for a Dana 44 locker...

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

YA what he said! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

the 10bolt is not much stronger than the dana 44 /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif so why not just sell the 44 and use that money to help buy the axle shafts for the 10 bolt?

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. After some thinking, I have decided not to buy the 10 bolt. I will be looking for a 14b FF with 4:56 gears. Since I would have to buy new gears anyway, I'll just build what I what. I'd rather only do it once. I love my truck, but I have had enough wrenching on it for awhile. I want to get all the pieces/parts together and have them ready so I only have to tear into it once. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I know D60's are spendy, but I'd rather wait for what I want.