Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to fill holes in with? (new side mirrors)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, Dec 27, 2000.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

I got the rid of my nasty old tripod mirrors and got the newer style gm mirrors. But now i have these holes in the side of my doors, what should i use to fill them in with, I'm afraid bondo will fall in when four wheeling, will it? Is there a mesh type of thing to use? i don't have a welder but i could find someone to do it, what is the best way to go about doing this?

[​IMG]

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

When I painted my Blazer I welded the modeling holes, and grinded smooth. After that I used a little bit of Bondo to smooth it out. Hope that helps....same situation you are in....

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!

3. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

what about filling it with solder? im not sure how well it would hold, but i would assume it would hold really well.

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A trick we use to fill holes is to use a dis-similar metal on the back side of the hole and then weld it up. I usually use a piece of aluminum. After its welded up you can just remove the aluminum and presto, the hole is filled. On thin body metal I would use a thick piece so it'll absorb a lot of the heat and just do a series of tacks with some cool down between each tack weld. This should minimize the distortion. Then grind the outside flush and use some fill to smooth it.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Depending on how big they are you could use JB Weld.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>