Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what to get exhaust wise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wraenking, May 8, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

now that i have everything else i ordered coming, i want to get the exhaust too. i will have a 98 crate goodwrench 350 (thanks to crazy421) going in soon. my beud told me to just get the 2 mufflers, and the to cats, and then have a muffler shop pipe it and hang it all.

what do you guys suggest for the 2 muffs and 2 cats?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

are you subject to a visual emissions check? You may fail with dual cats if thats the case.

Anymore, for a mild small block, I think single 3 inch is a better choice, just a lot easier to run, and less components. Plus if visual is a concern, still legal.

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

im in new jersey, and i knw they throw the mirrors under your truck to check the cat. wouldnt it be better to have 2 enviormentally?

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You must have the same equipment that the truck came with from the factory. Plus the hotter a cat gets the more efficent it is, so if you have two they do not get as hot. I vote for a single 3" system, much easier in the long run...

5. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

thanks guys.

what type do you guys suggest?

something that sounds good but isnt going to bust my wallet

after ordering the lift , tires, and whhels, she is starting to give me looks!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know it's a little trendy but I am a big fan of flowmaster when it comes to the tone, nobody makes a muffler that sounds near as good IMHO. The best FLOWING muffler out there would probably be a Borla, they are expensive and don't sound as good though. If it was me I would go with a 1 chamber flowmaster and 3" piping. I used to have a 2 chamber 40 series with 3" piping and it sounded good but not near as good as my duals and headers now. Duals get expensive though.

7. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

Incidentally, I was just quoted on an exhuast for my 91. I'm running a bone stock tbi 350 and with the amount of lift I have the driveshaft will end up coming through the y-pipe. In order to build a new y-pipe that will clear the driveshaft and run a single 3" pipe all the way back, it will cost roughly 100 more than a new dual 2.25 exhaust with a crossover behind the t-case.

Either way, I don't want to get too carried away with it, since I'll be turfing that small block and putting in an angry 496 somewhere in the future.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Single cat and muffler with dual in's and out's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    or:

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, but with all that nice new fancy clean lookin stuff on there, i don't see any scratches anywhere from wheelin it,,, /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Whats up with that? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

OH WAIT, i'm sorry, i didn't look to see that you lived in Texas, i'm sorry /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Which ever way You go wether it be singel or dual dont buy a bolt on kit. Get the manifolds or headers and mufflers that You plan to use. Then have a quality muffler shop bend a tuck the pipes where You want them and have all the seams welded. I did this on Mine and was very pleased. Cost Me around $275 for the pipe work but it's better than any bolt on kit out there.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Call your local inspection station about the cats. Some states alowe duel cats if you have duel exhaust, as where other states only alowe a single exhaust system. Never hurts to call and get the info from the people who can piss on your plans.

14. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Hey, smartass, that ain't my truck...but I'll give you a hint on who really owns it. His name rhymes with Beave Pox..... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif