Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to get for new headlights?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MountainMan, Jan 23, 2005.

1. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

I want to get new headlights so here is the question:
    • Do i get just new tech bulbs and thats enough?
    • Do i get new tech blubs and new tech housings?
    • For the above, what do I get...
    I want really bright new lights, what shall i do?

(i am not really sure what i mean by new tech lights, but i am sure the technology of headlights have improved since 1986)

:confused:

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If it's legal in your state, pick up an H4 conversion kit. It was the best $100 I ever spent on my truck.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

friend of mine had a h4 kit in his vertical 4 headlight set up and only the low high beams . when he kicked it on high the paint would peel of a car at 100 yards , thay were BRIGHT.

4. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I have sylvanna silverstars in my 85 K10, I think they were like 20 bucks a piece and they are a direct replacement. They were a huge improvement, but I really want to try the H4 conversion, saw the housing at local auto parts store for 35 bucks. Then you have a wider choice for bulbs then.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

what all is involved in the H4 conversion? I did a search, but either it isnt working right, or the old H4 conversion post didnt carry over. Is it just a matter of buying new housings & bulbs, or is there rewiring to be done? Thanks.

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I just put a set of Sylvania Silverstars (9006's) in my '97 Eclipse. I love 'em; the light is a lot "whiter" than the stock bulbs.
    When the time comes, I'll be putting them in my K5 too.

7. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I believe the H4 conversion is just housings and bulbs, because I believe the H4 bulbs have the same three prongs as your stock halogens. Most conversion housings either take a H4 or the 9003.

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I would do this kind of upgrade on your headlight wiring. I did this on my '90 and it made a big difference and I just run good halogen lights.

This will increase the voltage at the light from around 12.% volts to 14.% volts straight from the alternator.

[​IMG]

9. velocitiii

velocitiii Registered Member

Hella!!! I put a set in my Vette and they are the best light I've seen yet, short of the $400 HID lights. Soon to have them in my truck too. They are like $40 each from JC Whitney and have replacable bulbs. They have a very well defined light pattern and put the light where you want it. If they're not bright enough just replace the bulbs with higher wattage ones.

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would upgrade your wiring liek DP said and also get the H4 conversion like Canmore mentioned. But for the H4 conversion, stick with a good name brand like Hella or Bosch... Some of the ebay cheapies are plastic housings. I liked my bosch's beam pattern a little better than the Hella pattern. Also, look for an E-Code housing. Granted they are technically not legal in the US, but I ran them for 3 years in my old car and have them in my new one also..

You can get an HID look bulb also. Stay away from the cheapies here too... Some just add tint to the glass to give a blue look. Go with a PIAA or so super white bulb or similar. They emit a more white light rather than the ricer blue bulb look.... With PIAA lights, you can also get higher wattages to emit more light to the road. I had an 85w low beam and 135w high beam in my old Probe. But then again it was pretty low to the ground and I never was highbeamed like I was blinding people.

The ultimate way to go thoguh woudl be with HID's!!! I have them in my GTI. Total night and day difference even over my H4 e-code conversion AND the high watt bulbs!!! The output of the HIDs is so much greater than a regular light! Tons of light on the road that is white and not that old yellow look of coventional bulbs... My low beams are Hella e-code housings that are smoked.. My high beam(seperate housing in my GTI) is smoked also but has a normal high beam bulb. I never even use my high beams anymore because I dont notice them with the HIDs! They dont even sho up when they are on! Thats how much light HIDs put out!

Definately worth the $$$ if you want great lighting!

11. MountainMan

great info, thanks everyone :grin:

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I have two sets of the mid priced H4 lens/reflectors from JCW and two sets of Hella's. Frankly, I prefer the JCW's. Part of that could be that the JCW's are 7" rounds and the Hellas are the large rectangular reflectors. You can get higher than stock (55w lo - 60w hi) H4's off the shelf at some parts stores. I got the 85/100's in the Sub from the local NAPA. Just know that the higher the wattage the shorter they live. PIAA takes the highs all the way up to 160 watts (or used to anyway), but those don't seem to last more than a 6 months.

13. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd go with the relay mod first and then the H4 upgrade. Doing the H4 without the relays is a waste of time to me. You can't get all the voltage to the wires to see a major improvement over stock Hologens.

I used DP_90K5's Schematic to do the relay mod to my 75, but I re-drew it for the single headlight setup. Here it is:

[​IMG]
    It made a big difference just by doing the relay mod. Compared to my buddy's stock 78 light setup, mine was brighter by 3 times and still that was with my old halogens. I went ahead and bought a set of H4 bulbs on EBay (yes I wanted Hella's but cringed at spending 100 on just housings for a $500 truck). My Conversion housings do have Glass lenses and mine have an auxillary fog light socket that accepts a standard H3 fog light bulb. Here is a comparison shot of my K5 with a Hologen in the pass side (left in pic) and the H4 in the drivers side (right in pic). This is just on LOW beam.
    [​IMG]

14. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

does anyone happen to know the part numbers for the housings they would have at say advance auto? All they have are computer catalogs and if you dont know applications, you are SOL. Also, what would be the good bulbs for the H4 setup? Thanks guys, Im going to do the relay mod too.

15. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Get the Hella H4 conversion lamps. They bolt right in with no modifications. I had them on the old truck and have no idea how I lived without them. Pissed off I can't get them for my '91!~

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i did this way to much light lol

[​IMG]

17. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i have th h4 conversion mdae by pilot ir who ever they sell at autozone, right now they have the silverstars in em but i heard that the streetglow bulbs are hella bright.

18. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I used GE cool blue in mine. Half the cost of the Silverstars. Almost as bright and not ricer blue in color either. Just bright white light.

19. MountainMan

where can i find detailed info on this relay mod?

20. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Does that setup melt the snow in front of you ???:D :D :D