Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what to get

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tacomaboy, Jul 7, 2002.

1. tacomaboy

tacomaboy Registered Member

i like to get a k5 as a trail rig.
    and i want to know what to get what year what lift how big of tires u could get with 6 in 8 in or 10 in of lift

what kind af axels it has what moter options do i have what the best locker

can i get bushwaker cut out flars and if i can how many inch bigger tire i could get

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That's a lot of questions for one post. Why don't you spend a couple of hours with the search feature and try to answer some of them for yourself, and then ask some questions to clarify what you found? All of these things have been discussed, even in the short time that I have been here. </font color>

3. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Most of these question's are all matter's of opinion anyway. Don't ask the best of anything, you'll just get us all argueing,...again. The best year is all personal preference (psst, '87), and locker, again the same thing (psst, detroit). Do a little research on the thousands of posts here and it should help you out.

4. tacomaboy

thanks i will try that
    but i still like to know what year k5 will be the best

5. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

If you'll fill out your profile, you'll have a much better chance of getting responses. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

6. tacomaboy

how do i do thaT

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Click on "my home" at the top of the forums, scroll to the bottom, and click on edit next to personal info. Thats where the profile stuff is.

PSSST 86 Blazer. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Go to the very top of this or any page and youll see links to pages in CK5. Click on technical and youll learn TONS about Blazers.

We all have our personal favorites so its too hard to ask for the best.

8. tacomaboy

i will get a 86 if i can find one that year i was born

9. Pure Insanity

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    i will get a 86 if i can find one that year i was born

[/ QUOTE ] GGRRRRRR! IM OLD!

Oh yeah! Well I was driving a CJ on 38s when you were born! HA!

OH yeah, that made me feel better. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

86 is an odd year...lot's of weird parts in those as GM was gearing up to make the switch to Fuel injection, center bolt heads and the one piece rear main seal.

I'd go with 88-91 if I were looking again. I don't like the intro year for stuff. 87 was the first year for fuel injection...

Rene

11. tacomaboy

i thinking of a 86 k-5 36 12.50 tsl and an 8 in superlift and bushwaker cut out detroit locker f/r gears? and all sorts of other toys any other thing i need ta add

12. Pure Insanity

That is a good point Rene. Altho in my case the only thing 86 left on it is the VIN tag it seems.

New axles being prepped to go in, 97 Vortec motor, TH 350 trans, no computer.

Everything from 86 up has the 1 piece rear main and center bolt valve covers tho. At least at 86 you can still toss the computer carb and dist. and swap out to a regular carb HEI w/ minimal headaches. Once you get to 87 you need to swap intakes. We all know I am not a fan of injection or computers for several reasons. 1 being you cant build too far on the motor before getting beyond the TBIs capability. 2 being that I can have an underhood fire, and rig up some wires and hoses and limp home. Underhood fire w/ a computer and your stranded. Your not gonna rig enough wires or high pressure hoses to drive it out.

13. Pure Insanity

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    i thinking of a 86 k-5 36 12.50 tsl and an 8 in superlift and bushwaker cut out detroit locker f/r gears? and all sorts of other toys any other thing i need ta add

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah.....10 grand! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif LOL!

OK at 8in. springs you lose flex. Youd be best off w/ a 6in front, shackle flip in the rear and a 2 in spring. W/ the cutouts you wont miss the 2in difference IMO and still have sufficient clearance.

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hey no kiddin your 16 to eh? well welcome to ck5 from one of the young ones! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif haha..i have a 84 im fixing up..but will msot likly be getting rid of due to body problems, and i hope to get one in really good shape and go from there, but right now my main concerm is just DRIVING! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Bryan

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

haha yea tell me about it..nice if you could even find a blazer with all those specs! but if you did that would cost you!...do like im doing..buy something stock, that way you have the fun of biulding it all up your self, and when you get it with quite a lot of stuff to wear you can get like 4-7000 out of it, then you can keep selling and buying over and over rides that all ready have lifts and big tires and all the toys on them. thats what i want to do, ive been toying with the idea of getting a truck, either long or short bed. i would kind of like to try a truck, but i love blazers so i dont know yet!? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Bryan

16. tacomaboy

17. tacomaboy

what kind of gas milage yall getting

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I think with either one of those you'll need to go over with a fine tooth comb to make sure that they were built well, and plan on replacing the axles real quick, especially on the one with 44s, because the stock 10 bolts sure won't last long under tires of that size. </font color>

19. tacomaboy

well one got a 10 year warranty on the moter
    and i planed on putting some 12 bolts onthere

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You'l have a hard time putting more than one 12 bolt in it, since they only made rear 12 bolts /forums/images/icons/wink.gif... The front would be swapped to a Dana 44, which is only marginally stronger than a 10 bolt, or a 60. Either way, a 12 bolt or a Dana 44 in stock form are extremely iffy with 38"+ tires, and totally inadequete for 44s. The 12 bolt and 44 can be beefed to the point that some people have had luck with tires as large as 38s, but by the time you spend the money to get them to that point you might as well have gone for the D60 and 14B in the first place. </font color>