Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to look for in a used Burb..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stickseler, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Weve been talking about getting me a new DD and using the K5 for a play truck. I have a good idea of what to look for as far as problems on a K5 but is there anything else I should look close at on a Suburban??

Heres the one I want to look at maybee offer $ 5500 he said it has som rust on the rear quarter and it has 163k on it with 3k on the engine and front end....Still the stock tranny /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

It is basically the same as the K5's suspension and drivetrain wise. What I would look at are the body mounts (the actual ones the plastic rests on) for corrosion or if they are even there. If its really bad, I wouldn't pay for what they ask because your going to have some work ahead to repair those. Check the back doors alignment, that will also tell you if the body is going. Thats all I can think of /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's already a 3/4 ton so that'd be the first thing I'd look for.

Check for rust. If you see any rust on the outside, the bottom has to be much worse.

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Look for rotting in the rear tailgate b/door areas, just like the K5's. My '90 is all chewed up there and needs replaced this summer.

Reall many of the same places you look on a K5, but with the addition of 2 extra doors....

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

If you want the best of all worlds, go for a '91 V2500 Burb...........they have the 4L80E tranny, and some have all the HD cooling systems (PS/Engine oil/External tranny) from the factory. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah, that 13 year old overdrive transmission is a good idea. Especially when you need to replace them at $2000-3000 a pop. Put me first in line for a 91 V2500 Burb!

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, that 13 year old overdrive transmission is a good idea. Especially when you need to replace them at $2000-3000 a pop. Put me first in line for a 91 V2500 Burb!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, should I waste my time on a well crafted response to a smart guy that has a major chip on his shoulder?

Nah......... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Personally no I'd just tell him to stick it up his tail pipe and ignore him like most of CK5 is doing.

Like the others said the areas to check on a Burb are the same as they are on a K5, inside the rear wheel wells, body seams around the rear, rot in the back door and taillgate support area.
    Crawl under it and just check the basic condition of the underbody, rust on the seat belt mount under the rig . . . the condition of all body mounts, and the wiring near the rear (it tends to get chewed up if people tow).

There really isn't any area that is different to check than on any other full size Chevy, just a lot more to actually check.
    Good luck on finding a nice one Burb's kick arse! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, should I waste my time on a well crafted response to a smart guy that has a major chip on his shoulder?

Nah......... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The sad thing is that you can't even admit that I have a valid point, simply because you don't like my response.

10. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

It's not valid to assume that all 13 year old trannys have to be replaced.

Sure the 4l80E is expensive, but it's worth it! Not everyone loves manual trannys in their DD.
    And if the tranny is going, you figure that into the cost of buying the rig and negotiate for it!

You just need to try and stop being so damm negative about everything. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I never said that everyone wants a manual tranny. My tow rig doesn't have a manual, it has a TH 400.

Telling someone to buy a 13 year old rig with a 4L80E without warning them of the replacement cost, in my opinion, is stupid. I think they're awesome trucks, but I'd be prepared to replace that tranny as you know it's showing its age at this point.

Reguardless of your preference of transmissions, that replacement cost is something to think about at the very least.

I personally prefer that my tow rig has a TH 400. Gives me one less thing to worry about when I've got 10,000 lbs behind me. It cost me $375 to rebuild and probably will be good for the remainder of my lifetime with proper maintenance.

Either way, it's just something to think about. The heavy duty overdrive automatics are VERY costly to repair/replace.

12. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Then maybe you would have been more help to the guy looking for info by saying that you would "recommend the TH400 over the trans found in the later model subs" instead of not including that info until someone challenges your sarcasm.

You have a good point, and I would call the preference for the TH400 due to replacement cost (even though there is an MPG advantage to the newer trans) good advice.

Unfortunately, the chip on your shoulder places your focus on something other than helping someone out.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif