Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to look for when buying a used axel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Mar 29, 2000.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have found a corp 14 bolt out of a 78 3/4 ton 4X2 It is at a junk yard and they want 35$ for it if I take it off..Is there somthing to look for when buying a used axel, I dont even know if it will fit my 85 blazer but I found a place that said they can make it fit..for the right price.

2. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

For $35 bucks, it don't matter go get it, but to answer your guestion....Pop the diff cover and look for missing or chipped teeth on the gears, check for uneven wear on the ring gear, leaking seals and bad brake assemblies..leaking slaves worn drums etc...make sure you get all the rear end...e brake cables included...WK

3. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

U-joint and e-brake cables are probably your biggest concerns. Trick joint should not be a problem and a stock cable from one vehicle or the other should hook you up.
    John

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Read my axle swap article, I go over this. The 2 wheel drive axle has lower shock towers on it!

Steve

5. 88Jimmy

88Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Don't forget the spring plates too!

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I read your article and didnt see the section on the 4X2 axel..will it fit at all?

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Oh My bad, I read your post wrong...I thought you went over the 4X2 axel in your report...derr..sorry, anyway do you know what I would need to do to make the 4x2 axel fit??

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

As far as I know the 2wd axle should bolt right up, it will just have lower shock mounts on them which means you may need longer shocks (If your going to wheel your Blazer, I would get a 4x4 axle for better ground clearance). Another thing to think about, is the pinion angle may be different because the 2wd axle was made for to be connected to a lower tranny, not sure on this, maybe someone here knows.

Steve