Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to look for when buying?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Nov 3, 2000.

Hi all, I am starting on my quest to find an 87-91 K5 for my daily driver. I am currently in graduate school, restoring a '67 MGB, two kids, wife, and a 40 hr/wk, so extra time is not something I have.

I would like to aquire an 87-91 K5 for a daily driver, in good stock condition, with little or no mechanical problems. What are the things you need to keep a look out for when purchasing a K5?

I am a die hard Chevy guy, but could not pass up the $250 '86 F150 I am currently driving, please help me get back on the right horse.

Thanks
    Keith

1. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Depends on what you want. I just purchased a '91 and went for simple. No power windows, locks or seats becuause I don't like to fix that stuff. I like a stick shift, hard to find, but extremely reliable. Clean title! Smog legal if that applies in your area (have the seller smog it). Don't pay extra for recent repairs unless you see receipts. Check the internet for pricing guides (www.edmunds.com or www.KBB.com). Mechanically, there are a million things to look for; If your not a mechanic, take a knowledgeable friend. Good luck.

2. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

as tom said, i prefer manual everything. not that i have owned a fully loaded one, but my friends have. you mentioned 87 & up so you can find nice ones.

those things aside, i think if you test drive it for about 30 minutes (some highway, some city driving), and try the 4WD, and its pretty smooth, then i would say its runs ok, these trucks are very durable........but then again, i look at a rusted through shell in the junkyard and i think they are rebuildable.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Check for rust, end of bed and around tailgate. Also rocker panels and floors. Check trans fluid and diff gear oil. My 87 and previous 89 had to have rear ends rebuilt before 100,000 miles. But never had any tranny or engine problems.