Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to look for when shopping for Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AZTBlazer, Mar 14, 2001.

1. AZTBlazer

AZTBlazer Registered Member

As the subject shows I am looking for a Blazer, 4x4 of course. I want AC, auto, 350 or 400.
    What do I need to look for? What are problem areas that are of concern? I know 73-75 have removable tops, but are harder to find. I want between 73 and 80. Probably before 78 when they went to the 10 bolt (no offense to anyone who has this axle). What years did they start putting power accessories in these? Thanks, Tom

Owned a Jeep, not worth it.....
    Owned a Toyota, what part is broke this week?? How much will that cost?

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Rust is the enemy, check everywhere. All K5's have removeable tops. 69-75 are full tops and 76-91 are half tops. Yes 10 bolts suck. Check for usual stuff, 4WD works, lights, etc, but dont expect that old of a truck to be perfect

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune time." [​IMG]

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I think that the current consensus is that the 10 bolt is comparable to the D44 in strength. IMHO there is not enough difference that you should base a buying decision on it. And they are quite capable of being built up just like you would a D44 since many after market parts are now offered to correct the problems. It depends on the type of wheeling you plan to do but, if a C10 can't be built to take it, you're looking at installing a D60...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.