Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to look for

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by tRustyK5, Nov 10, 2002.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Found a 6.2 in the local buy&sell for cheap. The guy claims it ran well. I'm pretty sure it is no longer in the truck...anything I can look for to save myself a future disaster?

Anyone with a comprehensive list of other junk I'll need to convert to a 6.2 from a 350?

diesel rad I know (he has one for sale as well)
    Hydro boost brakes?
    What about fuel lines and tank?
    Glow plug light dealie on the dash?

Help out a diesel rookie please!/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rene

2. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

I am also a diesel rookie, well I was when I started my current project, but I have learned quite a bit about diesels getting my CUCV running. My first advice is to not buy someone elses junk. If they cant demo the engine running you should never pay more than core value. I have discovered that some diesel parts can make big block parts look cheap! Injectors, pumps, and virtually all hard parts are damn expensive compared to gas engines. If you are converting from gas you will need the hydroboost, tank and lines should be ok after flushing. Easiest to use a manual glow plug switch and not worry about the controller or light on the dash. The diesel is also much heavier than a small block, I thought that it was comparable to a big block, but somewhere else I read that it was approx 900lbs, figure 200 to 400 extra pounds. I like my diesel truck, but I would have to say that I wouldn't do the swap unless fuel price differences between gas and diesel are huge, or you have all the parts just lying around or can get them very cheap. It would cost a bunch to do right, the 6.2's aren't that powerful, and they're loud(diesel trucks come with extra sound deadning). If you are sure you want a diesel, I would suggest selling you current ride and buying a diesel or at least buying a complete vehicle to make sure you get all the necessary parts. You could always swap your gas motor into the diesel truck and then sell it. These kind of swap projects alway end up costing twice what you plan(I know from experience)

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

What to look for?

Well you could look for a GAS MOTOR FOR YOUR K5...what the heck are ya thinking rene?

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well Rene
    I will not tell you not to, because I have a couple of diesels and I love them.
    I didn't do the conversion, but I can tell you from the conversion that was done on my blazer (bought it that way) you will need a lot of parts to finish the project and parts are not cheap. But as far as difficulty, it's not more difficult than swapping a fuel injected engine in a carbed truck.
    What to look for: do not buy an engine that you don't SEE running. Even if on a stand you should hear it run, start.
    I have had problems with bad cranks, and that is not something you can fix cheap (I did that mistake), and another thing is heads, heads cracking is not uncommon.
    Also main seals tend to leak but that is something easily fixed.
    Other than that I don't know what to tell you except, diesels on rocks rock.
    it's like having fuel injection (they are) with gobs of torque, you can almost run them upside down.

5. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

Are you going to be running an automatic or manual? Automatics need a diesel flexplate and torque converter. Manuals need a diesel flywheel and (I think) a different starter from the automatic.

Don't forget to get the fuel filters and also remember that you have to have dual batteries with a 6.2.

I also would not trust somebody that the engine was good, unless the price is low enough for the parts to be worth it. Check out e-bay to see what people are getting for this stuff.

6. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    what the heck are ya thinking rene?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking of peak torque equal to my 350 but at 1800 RPM or so. It'll run upside down unlike my carbed 350 and will return better mileage.

As for buying another K5 that's already diesel...that would be twice the work due to all the mods already done to the truck I have.

The 6.2 is advertised for a whopping $60 USD...much less than even a core price would be. I'll have a look anyways and may pick it up just cuz there's not much to lose by doing so. There are enough people here that grossly undervalue the 6.2's...

My options as far as motor goes are:

A) rebuild the sbc (383 maybe) and convert to FI

B) as above but convert to propane

C) 6.2 diesel

the FI 383 will not be any cheaper than converting to diesel and could easily be more complex...

The propane conversion is attractive due to availability and cost of LPG here...but tank location is the big stumbling block. There just isn't a good place on a K5 for a tank large enough IMHO

I suspect the reason the 6.2 is being offered up cheap is that it cannot be test run...

Thanks for the responses...I'll let you know what I find out from this guy.

Rene

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

$60 and you are still asking us?
    In a worst case scenario, you can use it as planter for some roses. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I think you can even sell it as iron by the pound for that much. If it has the heads on it, injectors stuff like that, you can sell on ebay for 15 bucks a piece and get your money back.
    Just my opinion.

8. tRustyK5

LOL, the ad was a mis-print but the deal still looks good. $750USD for every single diesel related part that came out of this guys truck and it was a 4 speed truck so no hunting for flywheel, oddball starter or other clutch related parts. The truck is an 85 and the guy wanted to use it for mudding so he wanted to replace the 6.2 with a built 350.

The only part I'd need to hunt down is the hydro-boost as far as I can tell.

The best part is his buddy wants my 350...so the offer I made was my gas junk for the 6.2 junk and I pay $300 US.

The 6.2 tself is very complete and clean, oil looks good, no major leaks anywhere, coolant looks fresh etc etc.

I'm waiting to see if they take my offer....

Rene

9. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Do it man, do it! I've converted to diesel twice, and I've never regretted it! I converted my '81 to 6.2L diesel back in '96, and I'm still driving that bad boy.

You don't HAVE to convert to hydroboost, but I suggest you do. I'm still using the vacuum boost system on my '81, but it would be better with hydroboost. You'll need a good vacuum pump and an extra vacuum canister to make the vacuum system work well. I have to start the engine, and wait a moment in order to build enough vacuum for the brakes to work well, but after that, it's fine. Sort of like driving a big rig and having to wait for the air pressure to build.

One of these days I'll get it changed over to hydroboost.

Casey

10. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Diesels are great. Just look at what mine can do. I don't even need to put my t case in 4 lo. 4 hi and 2nd or 3rd gear is more than enough with 3.73 gears. You want to hear it run. You won't leave without it after you hear the sweet Diesel pump out its low end torque and pull a house around the block without thinking twice!!

As I remeber when I was looking at K5s someone said
    "I think towing a house is way cooler than chirping the tires!

Rene"

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=45929&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1

11. tRustyK5

It's a done deal. My truck is sitting in a friends barn, hood off, coolant draining etc etc as I write this. I should have the 6.2 in my grubby little hands next weekend /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

So I can get away without hydroboost for the short term then? Details please!!!/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I will be putting it on the truck, but if I can shop around a bit I'm sure it will save me a few bucks.

I've already spent a fair number of hours reading old posts in this forum, and I'll be spending a ton of time here from now on! Please have patience with what may be stupid questions... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Nick...good memory on the quote. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I got a great friend too (very important...) He has lent me his 2WD 89 Chev pick-up til the swap is done and is gonna be working on my truck during the week. I work nights so weekends are my only opportunity. He figures the motor will be out by Wed night. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    I did spend more hours than I care to remember helping with his axle swap and 4" lift though...

Rene

12. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Tell ya the first thing you need to get. A Haynes Diesel Manual. Almost everything is in that book.

What year is the Diesel coming out of? Mae sure you get the glow plug controller n junk so you can hook up a manual glow plug switch. Be sure and drain your tank well and all the lines. What kind of tranny do you have and is he giving you the tranny and torque converter? The Diesels have a different one because of the stall speed.
    If ya need any ideas questions feel free to ask.

13. tRustyK5

I'm getting everything that came out of the truck (85 I believe) when he pulled it all to swap in a 350 3 weeks ago.

I have a SM 465 and the truck the 6.2 came out of also had a SM 465 so I'm getting the flywheel, and all clutch parts as well as the correct starter.

My current 'fuel' tank is new (2 months ago...sat for a while so it was drained and flushed) and has a total of 1.5 gallons of gas in it right now. I was going to undo the supply line and use compressed air to blow out the remaining fuel, then add some diesel fuel and do the same (maybe a couple of times...)
    Is the filler neck size different for the diesel? Will I have to punch out the unleaded fuel flap thingy?

Casey mentioned that not having hydro boost isn't the end of the world, so my immediate questions would be can I run my current sbc power steering pump on the 6.2 until i can scrounge a hydro boost? Also how do I set up the extra vacuum canister and where would I source it from?

Rene

14. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Congratulations on the lifestyle change!! Take some good pics and do a write up?

15. tRustyK5

I'll definitely take a lot of pic's...but don't you generally need to be knowledgable and proficient to do a write-up?/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My write up may be "The blind leading the blind".

I'm really looking forward to the 6.2 powered beast from hell!

Rene

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Don't worry, plenty of blinds here to lead you. Then you will lead others. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    For the vaccum, there is a pump on the engine that provides some vaccum, you could hook up a tank for the brakes, my blazer has that without hydroboost, and it has a 5 gallon tank. That is kind of over kill but I like it.
    I have seen 1 and 2 gallon tanks that work.
    Don't worry about the conversion much just take your time get all the parts ready, check here often, and you should be fine.
    I know you're not a newbie to mechanics, I have seen your posts before. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. tRustyK5

Well after reading the posts here for a few hours I'm much less worried. There seems to be a good sized group of guys that really know their diesel stuff and seem willing to share their knowledge!!/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

So would an old air tank of some sort work as a vacuum 'resevoir'??

Rene

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

yep sjould work fine.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. tRustyK5

I guess a vacuum guage could be plumbed into that too huh?

Rene

20. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yes you can do that too.
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif