Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to paint my battery tray with?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dafey, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

It looked BAD but a wire wheel and some sand paper cleaned it up real nice.So whats good to paint it with to keep it from rusting (its naked right now).And to help protect it from the battery also.

2. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

My buddy recommends using a high temp paint like you would use on your engine. It is not a cure all, but it resists the acid burn that inevitably occurs. They also have a pad at LMC, and others I am sure, that absorbs the acid and simply resides under the battery.

3. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Maybe brake caliper paint? :dunno: It's heat and chemical resistant.

4. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Rustoelum rust cap has worked well on my battery tray. Also, cut out a large piece of felt to battery size and soak it in baking soda. It should neutralize most acid seepage.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I painted my battery tray with POR-15 (just wanted to seal it for awhile) and it's lasted about 3 years, but is finally starting to show corrosion. I suspect any paint on a clean metal surface will help for a decent period of time, along with the other ideas of the mats and so forth.

6. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

Felt pad

Do you guys think this would really work? My daughter has all kinds of felt to make kid projects with..?

A friend gave me a can of Dupli-color Truck bed coating :crazy: , I'm going to try that [its free..] .
    If it doesn't work I'm going to try Rustoleum or break down an buy POR15.
    If it looks good,I'm going try it on my scratched to hell air cleaner.

7. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

The felt would definately work well for that. The baking sode will neutralize the acid before it has a chance to eat away at the rest of the steel and paint.

8. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

Ok I`ll do it.
    This is the last thing I have to do to it.It came with a 2 foot to long positive cable,both ends of the negative were real loose,bunge tie down and this tray problem.:rolleyes:
    Now I can go back to getting rid of the surface rust :crazy:

9. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Eastwood has a specialty paint for battery trays. Pads for them as well;)

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I will add this.. for any that can run something a little thicker under their batteries, I am very pleased with the hunks of truck bedmat I used under mine...

Sh*t is durable....

[​IMG]

11. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

I wish that mine was just surface rust, and that the battery tray was a more major deal than it is. My battery tray works great and has very little rust, but the body is a totally different story.

12. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I repainted one in my K5 aboot 5-6 yrs ago. I cleaned it up real well (bare metal in most places) and used a naval jelly to neutralize the pitted areas. I primed it and then used the do-it-yourself bedliner spray from sprawlmart. I think I even sprayed that a gloss black and haven't had any signs of a problem yet. I have even swapped it from one truck to another when I sold the gray one.

I just finished the one in the crew and it turned out alright. The military apparently had some heavy thick coating on it that had cracked in some places. I used a flap wheel on the grinder to even out the surface and then sprayed it with the Hammerite paint. THis stuff is supposed to bond directly to any rust and seal it from spreading. We'll see.

13. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

I just found a golf ball size hole under the right door last night :1zhelp: :( Now I have to figure out how to fix it....LMC has a panel for $19....But I don't know how to replace it..

I do have some finger high an long spots above and going down my rear wheel arch I was either going to Bondo or trim off an put little flares on if there more than surface deep.But this is different :(

14. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I really find that POR 15 to be the bomb.

I have used felt pads in the past with success, however they were commercially impregnated so I don't know about the baking soda suggestion (makes sense though).

Also I've extensively used Hippo Liner. It's a diy bedliner that is simply amazing!

Anytime you are painting to resist rust (always?) use a good self etching zinc primer! Zinc is the absolute best way to go.