Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to plumb onboard air with?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backyardbuilt, Jan 30, 2003.

1. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

When I do my onboard air I was gonna put a connection point in the front and the rear with the tank in the middle under the bed. My question is should I run all air hose or use pipe along the frame where i can and just use the hose for the ends at the tank and compressor. I did a search but nothing I found talked about this. Thanks Ryan

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

all i used from my manifold to my tank was regular air hose. this will be fine for piping the air to your specific locations, just use a high quailty hose. the only place this hose won't work is from the pump to the manifold, the temp. of the air coming out of the pump i much to hot for regular hose to handle. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm using the plastic line that is rated 300PSI. Has slick conectors that you just shove the hose into and it locks. If the hose ever get's damaged then you just push in on the collar and hose and then pull the hose out. Works great and been in service on my truck for 4 years and always has a minimum of 80psi on them, most of the time 140PSI is stored in my tanks.

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

If you are gonna use the new style of connectors get the boots that cover the ends.
    It does not take much debris in them to make them lock up.
    Personaly I hate them. I had to buy $80 worth of pliers for them things, and even those do not disconnect them some times.
    IMOHO they are no good at all if exposed to any kind of weather, did I mention that the damn things leak like crazy?
    Nothing worse that having to tear a whole dash apart because one of them damn things is leaking like a sieve.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I used stainless braided line from McMaster-Carr. A little pricey but should last for a looong time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

6. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

I used 1/2 inch copper tubing.You can solder or flare any fitting you want to it.It was less than $30 for a 25' roll and all the fittings.Make sure you get the soft copper you can bend with your hands. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I bought some goodyear rubber hose and barb ends. After hearing of all the people that have had problems with the hose not handling the heat (I have heard it can get up to 250*F at the output) I am now thinking of soft copper. I could put a few coils in it from the York to frame (like they do for brake lines off the master cylinder) which should allow it to flex with the motor. It will also disipate heat before it goes to the tank or into my tires.