Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to use on radiator crack?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Mar 22, 2003.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Today driving my gf's truck home, it overheated. Some stranger came along and saved the day. Had a bottle of coolant and some water. I limped it home and when I got there I started it up to find the leak, I found right away it was a crack about 1/2" long below the filler neck of the radiator. Does this need to be welded up somehow or is there a miracle potion that will fix the hole : Thanks

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

try jb weld or something similar. it's worked for me more than once.

3. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Well, other then buying a new radiator.....Your best bet is to get it brazed (you cant weld radiators due to their composition). If you have to/want to get a new one....I HIGHLY recommend this place for one, I use them all the time for my cars, and for racing:
    Speedway Motors
    I hope this helps...

4. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

All of the above recomendations are great, but try http://www.1800radiators.com they are really reasonable. I got a new 4 core fot my '87 for $164, including freight. The radiator wasn't a cheep Jap. brand either, it was a Modine radiator, which NAPA and the like stock. You can try using lead solder on the crack also, if you don't want to pony up for a new radiator. Good luck!

5. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

take it to a radiator shop & have it fixed.

whatever you do, don't pour pepper or that stop leak crap in it. That stuff tend to take a toll on your heater core.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I fixed a similar crack on a radiator with a bottle of mapp (sp) gas and some solder. Just remember to clean the area to be fixed really well. The radiator shop will do the same thing. If it doesn't seal you can always still take it to the rad shop. Try it yourself it aint hard... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Assuming it's a copper/brass radiator, any radiator shop can fix that in about 10 minutes. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif They'll clean the area, apply some acid flux, then solder it. You can do it yourself, but you have to be careful that you don't get the header tank too hot or the solder that holds the tank to the core can melt and then you'll have a new leak. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

rad shop will boil and rod and solder the radiator for cheap