Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHat to use to insulate starter wire from headers/exhaust?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TX Mudder, Jun 28, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I am talking about the wires that go directly to the starter - the start hot wire and the big red wire that carries juice to inside the cab.
    The go down the passenger side of the engine block, near the firewall.
    What can I do to insulate the wires from the exhaust component, esp. the manifolds. It would be even worse if I had headers. They are close to touching, and I really don't want to burn through the insulation and ground the positive battery cable.
    What can I do? If anyone has pics of what their's looks like, that would be cool.
    -- Mike

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Summit May have what you need...

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Get a F*ord starter soleniod and mount it on the fender. Heat Problem solved. I think summit sells the remote solenoid kit for about 25 bucks. And post this stuff in the 'Garage' forum it'll probably git more respones! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I guess I didn't make myself clear.
    I am not worried about heat soak for the solenoid - I already have a heat shield. That is not what I am talking about at all.
    I am talking about the wires that go to the starter/solenoid. The run too close to the exhaust and I think they will eventually burn through and short.
    I need something to insulate the WIRES themselves.
    I would like to see a pic of someeone truck on the passenger side of the engine looking down. I would like to how the wires are routed and if they go through any conduit, etc.
    -- Mike
    -- Mike

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

On my old 73 Camaro, the wires ran through a metal tube. I'm sure you could get some wire insulatator. Call Jeg's 1 800 345 4545. I'm sure the sales adviser can hook you up with something. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I just zip tied them out of the way, I am running thorley tri-y's and when I first put them on I burned the wire to my coil, just reran it and the others and pulled them to safety with zip ties. Make sure to use heavy ones and to leave a little slack, haven't had a problem with them yet and they've been on for 6 months.

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I used heat sleeves designed for plugs and strung a few of them together.

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color="blue"> Summit May have what you need... .......
    I guess he didn't make himself clear either ..... Summit will have what you're looking for ! </font color>

9. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I use an old heater hose that I slit and then tie-wrapped around the wires. Works excellent!!!

10. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

mina also ran through a metal tube, all did at one time, you can make one, and slide the wires through it. available at any hardware store, use lightweight tubing /forums/images/icons/smile.gif and flexable!