Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what to use to paint my rims?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Mar 5, 2007.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im in the process of sanding down my rims to bare metal and am not sure what to use to paint the rims. i was thinking about using bedliner on the exterior of the rims and then putting a coat of spraypaint over them, and just spraypainting the inside (where the tire is). what would you guys use to paint your rims?

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I did this to a set i had/have (don't use at the moment) i sanded them down to bare metal, sprayed a light coating of black primer to just cover the metal, and then sprayed them with semi-flat black.

I like the look of semi-flat better, not so "flat" but also doesn't have that super high gloss of the glossy paint.

Get ya a can and try it on something, see if ya like it, i'll bet you will :p:

3. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

i just scuffed mine with a "paint removing wheel" and then shot em with Rusteoleum or Krylon wheel paint, forget which...

it doesnt hold up where the lug nuts seat, or if you scratch it with metal, but it is cake to touch up

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i have found a place that does powder coating so im gona get a quote on that, if its rediculous, then i will likely go with rattle can i guess. if i dont like it i will just do something else

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

that i guess is what i could almost compare the semi-flat black to, is this powder coating look....

Honestly, i wouldn't spend the cash on powder coating, just paint them, it will turn out ok if you get everything clean and smooth.

6. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

place down here in richmond named specialty finishes sandblasts and powdercoats wheels for 25 bucks a wheel...cant beat that...