Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to use to trim fenders?!?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ken, Dec 9, 2002.

1. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

OK, I finally need to do it...trim the front fenders on two of my rigs. I have a Sawzall, but am thinking that will just hack the sh*t out of it and make it look like crap. What do/did you guys use??? An air nibbler?? Die grinder?> What??? HELP!!! Thanks!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

a sawzall will make a mess in my opinion.. use a angle grinder with a cutting wheel, a thin one...

A sawzall will work but may give it a tearing affect.. i tried it on the back of the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and switched to the grinder promptly! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. A plasma cutter /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

how about an air powered cut off tool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

This is what I used. They make very clean cuts and is very easy to maneuver.

[​IMG]

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I tried all kinds of air powered tools from niblers to reciprocating to die grinders, nothing worked as good and as clean as the sawzall, but to each his own I guess.
    My first cut wasn't the greates but I didn't get close to the lines I wanted untill I had perfct control, then after the cut I snded the edges smooth and then rolled them for a factory look and a stroger edge.

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I'll second the plasma cutter suggestion. Thats how I'm going to do mine. Just make a pattern/jig out of some kind of flexible material, Stick it onto the fender and use it as a guide for the plasma torch....15 seconds later, You're done- And no saw, or nibbler makes a smoother cut than a plasma cutter. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

I tried both a cutoff wheel and a sawzall. the sawzall was by far the easiest. just get a friend to grab the fender as its getting cut so it doesnt vibrate. makes it much easier and cleaner.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The plazma cutter is the ultimate in cutting hands down.
    It is next on my list, but I bought tools for more than 5k this year so it's going to have to wait for a couple of months.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Use a Saws-all.....I trimmed my fenders in about 15 minutes.
    I like Milwaukees Bi-Metal 24 teeth blades.....very clean cut. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ken, I used a 4" grinder with thin cut off wheel, and it came out great...the Sawzall really rips it up, and when you get to the ends, there's just not enough room for it...the cut off wheel was quick and very smooth cuts...

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i used a cut off wheel, a sawzall and a grinder. cut mine all the way to the rear fender bolts. the second link in the sig links to what we did.

13. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Thin Cut-off wheel and some clean filing gets my vote. Plasma torch?! I have one, but I doubt the investment of it for trimming fenders is a wise economical choice...but is nice to have in your arsenal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

angle grinder worked well for me, i took a thin cut off wheel, then put a sanding disk on it, i was able to shave and contour the metal with the sanding disk..
    just have to watch the heat, i got it a little too hot and the paint around it started to turn black, so i cut a little more off and it was fine

15. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

uh just lifted mine more no rubbig with 6 inch susp, 3 inch body 38.5 tsl's but then again it hasen't left my drive way...................sawzaw! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Just use a hack-saw blade and some vice-grips /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I promise the power wont get away from you /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif