Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what to use to undercoat and protect new body

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIGRIG, Jan 14, 2003.

1. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

What have you guys used and had good success with. I bought a new body and plan to rhino the inside and want to coat the underneath with something(live in the rust belt /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) but I'm not sure if rhino would hold up under the body by the mounts and such or should I use por-15 or /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif? I'm looking for somehting that will last for a long time and wear good.

Any input appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks
    Chris

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Personally, if I lived back there, and had a vehicle that WASN'T undercoated from the factory, I'd rinse it off every time they brought the salt out. I've had friends move out there from this side of the country (no salt for the most part) and she rinsed the car off when it needed it, and when it finally was destroyed in a head on collision, it was still rust free. ('79 malibu classic wagon)

Only reasons I wouldn't undercoat it is that you are guaranteed to miss spots (which will then rust out) and it makes working under the truck a PITA. All that stuff covering all the bolt threads, wiring, gluing stuff together, catching on fire if welding, etc., etc. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rinsing it off is a pain for sure, but I just think its a better or jsut as good alternative to trying to undercoat something. My '83 was factory undercoated, ended up being the only thing holding the floor together after all the metal was gone.

*maybe* I'd POR-15 as much as I could get to. Another option is truck mud flaps (cut to fit) INSIDE the wheelwells. I've got them on the front inside of my rear wheelwells, and it almost entirely stops water/mud/dirt from getting into the rocker area. (which we all know is a weak spot) I'm going to do the same thing on the back side of the rear wheelwells, because the bed/tailgate area is a really bad spot, ONLY because there is nothing preventing the tires from throwing everything from the road into every crack and crevice back there.

The front side (of the rear wheelwell) I was able to use the stock bolts to retain the flap, the rear flap I'm going to have to get creative, I can't find any fasteners that can be bolted to the mudflap, (although I know they exist) and "pinch" (like vise grips) the lip that hangs down to form the back of the rear inside wheel well. I hate drilling holes /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would have them Rhino the bottom too but only if the body is off the rig if it is on the rig then you are going to miss some spots and in that case just rinse it off after every time they put salt on the roads. If you decide not to undercoat though I would use POR 15 That stuff is awesome. Just remember to take stuff apart on the underside let it dry all the way and then put the stuff back together because it also make a great glue. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

Yea It's totally off the frame. I'm going to do all the body work and undercoat before I throw it on. thanks for the info.

Chris

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You are set then! I love POR-15, I think the underside is about the best place to put it, no worries about UV down there. I have a feeling no matter how good POR-15 is though, the wheelwells will still show the scars from rocks, where undercoating is PROBABLY tougher in that application.

Again though, you can't tell when undercoating has been penetrated and the metal starts rusting, at least with paint, even if the surface is intact, you will see the rust bubbles.

6. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

The previous owner of my sub blew up the tranny and the fluid sprayed all over the undercarriage. That was 2 plus years ago and its been so effective at curtailing rust Ive thought of swabbing oily (recycled) rags to the rest of it. It collects a bit of dust but not enough to hold moisture and there's not a bit of rust

7. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd epoxy prime and paint....then oil spray!!! That's what I did to my bk5.

POR15 is for rusty metal and doesn't hold up to salt....
    It will dull and flake off in 5-10 years of use....

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Iwas watching trucks on last saturday. Project "Crazy Horse" they took the tub to Rhino and did the underside and inside the tub. Plus they showed some concrett blocks that had been rhino'd through them off a 2nd story and they didn't break like the untreated ones did. Also they had a paver that was rhino'd on one side that they broke it held together but the cracks would open when bent towards the treated side.

9. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yah....I saw that too...
    But it wasn't rhino....it was somehing much better.

10. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

try to get some pics of your /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    it is not that bad!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Make sure it's extra clean. Only prob I've heard with undercoating an older vehicle (for the first time) is you may trap salt against the body.
    Good luck!

12. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

Old tranny fluid in a weed sprayer. I am a small boat commercial fisherman and we launch our Dory boats here in Oregon right out through the surf. Driving on the beach and in salt water every day of the summer really can take it's toll so we coat the underneath with old tranny fluid.

13. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I've noticed that over time growing up that my driveshafts covered in oil always look brand new. I thought about doing this but also wanted something a little cleaner. But now that I know this tried and tested might work for other projects. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Chris

14. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

SWeeet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'd like to do some rhino flames on the front too. maybe in /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif pattern..can you tape off and paint rhino like a custom paint job..two or three different colors? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Chris

Thanks for all the info

Chris