Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What To Use to Undercoat and Protect th 72 K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by equalizer, Oct 21, 2003.

1. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    Hey guys, I'm wondering what is the best stuff to use for an undercoating to protect the truck. Last week, I sprayed about 4 cans of this undercoating gel like stuff that wasn't too bad until I went wheeling in the mud. Seems that I took the gel stuff off with the mud!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. Anyway, I bought a can of rubberized rockerguard and thought before I sprayed this into all four whell wells I'd check to see if anyone has used this to help keep the underside of their truck from moisture and, of course, any further rust. Most of the underside of the K5 is pretty good and I'd like to keep it that way. Also, I don't have the big bucks for things like rhino lining or POR-15 (??).. Any suggestions..Thanks
    Marc

2. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I normally go under there every year with about 4 cans of gloss black rustoleum and spray everything in sight. This year I hit some spots with POR-15, but I'm too lazy to try and get everything that way. So far so good. Make sure you also hose down the underside frequently at a coin carwash to keep the salt and junk away.

I don't think the rubbery stuff is very good once you have any rust or dirt. I'd be afraid it would hold moisture in and make it worse, plus you couldn't see it until it came through the other side.

3. Herculiner. Not exactly the cheapest DIY protective coating but it's durable.