Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to watch for when buying a Blazer???

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by trailblazer86, May 28, 2004.

1. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

Hi.
    I am going to look at a '93 or '94 S10 blazer tomorrow. I need something to drive during the rebuild of my K5 over the winter.
    When the big Blazer is finished I would like to put a V8 in to the S Blazer.
    First I was wondering if I need to watch for any special S blazer problems.
    Rust, Frame, Driveline. It there any problem areas?
    Other than front fenders this vehicle has very little rust an the price seems right. I just need a little help.
    Thanks for the help.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Our '91 just turned 150,000 miles this week. The only things I've had to change were the rear end (broke the pinion gear at about 125K), two alternators, and every wear component in the front suspension. If the steering seems vague as you try to stay in your lane on the highway, then it's probably time for front end work. Some folks will keep driving them until they can barely drive the rig, but I hated correcting the wheel constantly. I tore ours down at about 75K miles and replaced everything that moved in the front end. Ball joints, tie-rod ends, pitman arm and idler arm. Parts cost me a little over $200, but that was WAY better than the $1,100 I was quoted to have a shop replace them all! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif All the new stuff is greaseable and the truck still drives nice and tight 75K miles later. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. trailblazer86

I now know that the S-Blazer needs torsion bar mounts. Not really a problem as I may get to buy some new tools.
    Question.... Do I need the special torsion bar preload tool or can they be removed another way?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ugh! Is the crossmember rusted out? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I've never tried to completely remove the torsion bars, so I'm not sure if you can get them out without the unloader tool or not. It may be possible to unload them by removing a ball joint up front so that the lower A-arm can rotate down far enough to unload the torsion bar. But it's probably easier to rent or borrow the correct tool. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. trailblazer86

Thanks

Thanks for the help folks. If you have anymore help of suggestions... keep 'em comin'.
    I went to see the S-Blazer today. It needs two front fenders and the right side rocker panel needs to be replaced also.
    The price was too good to resist. This vehicle is brand new inside and it is loaded.
    Get this one fixed up and on the road and then on to the big Blazer over the winter.
    Thanks again.

6. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

Re: Thanks

if you are wanting to put a v8 swap in it, stay away from the 94 models. the are a odd year where the computer is
    mounted in the engine compartment. so when you go to wire it up , you have a big mess and things that dont work right.
    we just did this and the guy is still having issues.

7. trailblazer86

I have now had the S-Blazer home for a week or so now.
    Front Fenders are rusted away and the right side rocker needs replacing.
    Funny though the inner fenders are in great shape and most of the undercarriage still has the paint on it.
    The interior is in new condition.
    I plan to keep this vehicle as stock as possible nice and dependable. When it needs a new engine it will be getting the old 305 from my K-Blazer.
    Tire size, body height, etc. will all stay the same. The K-Blazer does a pretty good job dusting the ricers away and I would like to try the element of surprise with the little truck.
    Now I just have to pass my emissions and the Safety check.