Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What to you guys think of this blazer? Is it to good of a deal to pass up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlitzK5, Nov 13, 2005.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

I am looking to buy a blazer to use as my dailydriver to replace my 2003 dodge dakota in the future. I planning on using the blazer for everthing such as going to work/gym/sports/stores and travelling. It will be my only vehicle other then my offroad rig. I want a blazer because they are so easy to work on and so cheap to maintain. I will never make the mistake and buy a new vehicle again. I plan on having this tuck and using this truck forever. Of course I will have to take good care of it for that to happen. I was going to wait until i found a good deal on a 1991 model since this was the last year of the blazer and one of the best built and reliable models. Ie: engine/fuel economy/Tranny with OD. However I found this blazer up for sale. But I dont know if I should consider it because its older and problably not as suited for a dailydriver/travel everyware kind off truck. I was wandering what you guys thought? like weather its a good deal or not and if I should just pass and wait until a 1991 pops up. I am off course planning on putting a 4" lift on and 35" tires on it. The gas cost is a issue aswell since I will be driving it everywhere. Thats why I wanted the 350TBI and OD.

Year: 1976
    Price: $7000 canadian firm, $5881 US
    - 32500 miles
    - Engine made more efficient by Davenport motor
    sports (re-curve distributor etc)
    - Gets 18 mi/gal and has muchpower. The price is $7000 firm.
    - The trany is a th 350, the front diff is a dana 44 and the rear diff is a GM 12-bolt, both with 373 gearing. 203 converted from a full time 4x4 with Warn Premium locking hubs and a MileMarker kit

L SIDE.jpg

LEFT CAB.jpg

PAS SEAT.jpg

RIGHT CAB.jpg

FRONT.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  2. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

engine pics

ENGINE 1.jpg

ENGINE 2.jpg

3. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

a carbed 400 that gets 18 MPG without overdrive... yeah right

4. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah I figured his calculation is alittle off:)

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looks pretty clean. What are your plans for it? It'd be a shame to turn that into a weekend warrior...

Rene

6. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

I want a blazer for everyday driving and traveling. Not sure if i should consider a 1976 for that. The blazer will of course get a 4" liift and 35's. It will see no offroading other then for fishing and hunting trips. My other K5 will be used strickly for that.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Nicest I've seen (in pictures anyway!)..a "puff"!

That is a nice looking ,and probably well cared for K5!..I'm drooling! :laugh: ..its VERY rare to find a K5 in that shape of that vintage ..anywhere!--period!. :eek1:

The 400 isn't likely to give 18 mpg,but it might be possible,if it has 3.08's and you drive at 40 mph....my 74 K20 with 4.10 gears could get up to 15 mpg,and it was a heavy beast,at 6,280 lbs empty..and the motor was a stock high mileage one from a 78 Suburban,not in tip top shape by any means....No EGR or air pump factory too!..but I'd say 12-15 mpg is more like the truth..

As for reliability,I'd say the 76 might not be any MORE reliable than a newer truck,but it probably won't be any LESS reliable either!~--Which truck would you rather fix if it does breakdown?...something new,with a computer that will leave you scratching your head?--or a 29 year old simple to fix one?..

I love my old 79 C10 for one reason--if I blow a radiator hose,fan belt,or the HEI module,altenator,starter,fuel pump,(no "in tank" pump like EFI!)-etc,croaks on a long trip,I can change them in 15 minutes myself,with a minimum of tools..and parts are dirt cheap too..

On the other hand,if my 95 Ford Contour pops a hose,or fan belt,or say the starter or altenator fails,I'm facing a tow to the nearest garage,a day on the lift to fix it (hoses and belts would be impossible to do on the roadside--same goes for most any other repair too!-plus parts are costly !)..and I'd be at their mercy as to what they would charge to fix it too.--I wouldn't have a clue what to check first if it ever had a ignition problem or electrical problem..whereas I know every wire in my C10..I don't have to pass any emission tests with the 79 either--another money saving feature..its exempt from the emission test..

There are pro's and cons to everything..nearly 6 grand IS a lot of money for an older truck like that..but if its what you want,and you can afford it,I'd say go for it..if its as nice "in the flesh" as it looks in pictures,you could probably sell it for what you paid and then some if you decide you dont like it..they are not getting any easier to come by in that kind of condition..you'd have to keep it in mint shape though,any modifications or off road abuse will only detract from its value for most buyers..

I'd buy a more "beaten" truck if your thinking about lift kits,shackle flips,off roading abuse,etc..I saw a guy buy a truck in similar shape as the one pictured years ago,only to put a plow on it!-took it off roading with his two dogs,that trashed the interior--in two years it had holes in the quarters,and a smashed fender,and the undercarriage was all rusted!--it would be a shame to do that to this one,IMO... :crazy:

8. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I think I could eat off that truck.

9. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Glad to see you posted up again. Sorry if I contributed to your last one getting moved. :( I would say definitely buy it if you have the cash.

Oh, and stay with 33s if you only lift 4", you don't want to have to cut that beauty. ;)

10. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Does anybody own this year of blazer and what are your likes and dislikes of this year. I would think it would have to be the low bucket seats and no leg room for the rear seat, also the rear seat doesn't fold up. I would much prefer the 78 model for this reason.

11. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

There's a 78 for sale here in town with 67K on it. 350/350/203 drivetrain. Only issue is a banged up tailgate, back window crooked. Asking price is 2500, but I was told 1500 would buy it. I'll get pics later today.

12. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

My blazer is the exact year and the same exact drivetrain and i love it. When it was in close to stock form (axles, gears, tires were stock but had a 6" lift) I drove it daily for like 2 months and i never had a problem with it, and it was actually getting awesome mileage i wouldnt be suprised if i was pulling down 16 mpg. Now after ive lifted it and a abused it everything that has broke was caused from me and just didnt go out on its own. Ive never had a problem with it overheating on, or offroad as most people believe sbc400's do. The engine makes great power for being stock and has no problem roasting the 36's on pavement. But for 6 grand i dunno lol.... i could never see myself paying 6 grand for a 30 year old truck... but different strokes for different folks i guess. I bought mine with a 6" lift installed and it came with a bunch of uninstalled parts like a shackle flip for the rear, along with new springs, new 36x14.5 ground hawgs, and 3/4 axles, it had 85k miles, no body damage... had some bad surface rust but that was an easy fix, and i only payed 2000 for it.

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Holy crapo , intact spark plug wire holders :bow:

14. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Here's the 78 for sale. The posted price is $2500, but I was told by one of the salesmen it could be bought for $1500. I drove it last week, no noises, tracks straight, fires right up, no bad smoke. I think it does need a tune up, and maybe a carb rebuild, there is a hesitation when accelerating.

For Sale 001.jpg

For Sale 002.jpg

For Sale 003.jpg

For Sale 004.jpg

For Sale 005.jpg

15. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Yea, it's worth it.

And if I had the money I'd try to get the phone number from you.

The 78 is lookin kinda rough. Low miles my rearend. Does Wenzel work there? :haha:

16. tRustyK5

Honestly, if I was in your position I would stick with either stock height and 31's, or a 2 1/2" soft ride lift and 32's or 33's. Either I would would mount on some uber clean ralley rims. Anything beyond that and I'd just look for another K5...that one is too well preserved to be mistreated or overly modified.

Price wise...it's definitely in the right area IMO. This factors in the fact we're talking salt belt Alberta. If you were willing to buy a southern US truck and bring it home I think you could get the same or better for less. For where it is and the condition it's in I think the price is fair. I do know first hand what they go for here in BC...

Rene

17. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

One of the cool things about the '76 Blazer is it is the last year before they lowered the floor to give the back seat passengers foot room. So the '76 has a truck bed that goes all the way up to the back of the drivers seat. It can be a good or bad thing depending on the way you like stuff, but I like the full flat floor.

18. tRustyK5

'77 was the last year for the full rear floor, '78 was the intro year for the rear seat footwell and correspondingly shorter rear floor.

What made the '76 an oddball was the retention of the rocker boxes while only having a half top.

Rene

19. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Rocker boxes?

20. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

I hear that brother!! I bought a 2004 Avalanche WBH Z-71 brand new last year. That was by far the worst vehicle I ever owned, I finally sold it in august!! A beautiful vehicle fully loaded, everything but the DVD player ($3000 option I didn't need). That thing was in the shop I think about 9 times for the back window leaking, The hard covers for the bed leaked, at 2,500 miles my info center went out( driving down the road and suddenly everthing was switching from english, spanish and french). The thing developed a rattle in the dash, in the roof, the plastic covers rattled on the seats. I was very disappointed in GM's designs. My father has an 03 z-71, 18,000 miles the steering gearbox went out a couple of weeks ago. Take it back, (oh yeah we replace these all the time!) They have problems with the extended cab side windows leaking, and have not got a fix yet but to replace the whole window. I was very very disappointed and will never own a new vehicle again. I go back to my first statement when I first got my license at 16. (If it isn't older than I am, then it isn't good enough for me) I know there are lots of great advancements in technology and engine efficiency, but take off all the gadgets, the gizmos, and what do you have? A jeep, a bucket with a drivetrain. I love k-5's, not a huge fan of the jeep, just using that as an example. Sorry, just felt like venting about all that stuff. Oh yeah, anyone have an avalanche 1/2 ton? I have a full Magnaflow system off mine with only 2000 miles on it I need to sell.