Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What too do ???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, May 4, 2006.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I sold my El Camino to a guy back in Rapid City before I moved. Anyways, I agreed too sell it on payments. I hold a lean on the title. Now the guy is starting too give me the run around claiming this and that is wrong with the car and I know it was fine at the time I sold him the car. If it comes too the point, how do I go about having the car repoed ?? I'm 500 miles away, so what do I do ???

2. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Do you have anything in writing?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yes, I sure do. I just need too find it. It's packed away in one of the boxes. I also have a couple witnesses to the agreement.

4. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I think if it's all in writing and signed by all parties, then you should have no problem taking legal recourse if necessary :)

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hope it doesn't come to that.

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

If you have a written contract and a lean on the title you should be able to have it repoed when he violates the terms of agreement. If you can not retrieve the vehicle yourself you may have to hire a repo man to get it for you. Whatever you do make sure to carefully document every last detail in case you wind up in a courtroom.

It will probably all depend on what kind of personality he has and how far your willing to take it. If he thinks your all talk and no action expect to get the run around. How well do you know this guy, what is his background?

What is your committment, are you willing to spend money and time to get the El Camino back if neccessary?

7. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately it probably will come to that. Today you have to pretty much look out for yourself or else you'll get screwed... you can't rely on good, honest people anymore.

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

And this is why I have not, will not, and never will finance a car. Whether I know the person or not I have never even considered it, and I've sold quite a few. The funny part is about half of the mexicans that call ask if I will finance a vehicle and when I tell them no they get pissed and hang up on me. Something about someone giving you their word they will pay you for a car when you are 2 1/2 hours north of the mexican border doesnt sit well with me.

9. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

X2 I have never taken payments on anything and probably never will.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i have taken payments, and was offered cash for my Grand Am 2 days ago, if i'd take payments on it, but i refused.

the only way i take payments, the car gets locked in my garage, the title stays in my hands, and you get signed reciepts for every payment you make. also the original reciept (for the first payment) says right on it, if they dont stick to the payments, and have it paid off by X time, all money is forfieted. when its all paid for, THEN it gets to leave.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Normally I wouldn't consitter payments, but was moving and had no choice. One of those deals.

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Be careful how you handle it, be nice for as long as possible. For some reason people have a tendancy to be rough on cars when they know the repo man is coming....

Check and see if you, as lein holder, can repo the car without a court order. In a few states you can, but in most AFAIK you have to have a court order, otherwise you are open to a lawsuit. There are also laws in most states dealing with how far behind a person has to be to allow a repo.

13. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I only hope you still have the title. Document everything, date sold payements contract etc.