Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what tool would work

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SHAWNSTER, Aug 22, 2006.

1. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

I am trying to decide what tool I need to buy. I am looking at cleaning up the under carriage and frame on the 62 cadi- I have been using my cordless drill with a 3 inch wire wheel- and it takes forever and runs the battery down every 25-30 minutes-so i looked at an corded drill-or an air angle grinder and put a wire wheel on it, or can i buy an electric grinder and put a wire wheel on it- or what do you all recomend??-also i dont own a compressor-my bud has a pretty hefty one you plug in to the wall-kind of like a nail gun comp but larger that i can borrow-so if i buy air tools they need to be on the cheap

thanks

2. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Electric 4" or Det. cord.

3. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I would use an angle grinder with a wire wheel on it. Roybi(sp) has one for about $30 at HD, I got one for small stuff and its fine.

4. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

Yeah, you'd be hard pressed to find a compressor that'll actually handle the constant use of an air grinder. Best bet would probably be to go electric...either a drill or grinder - grinder being the cheaper alternative.

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Grinder with a wire wheel just make sure you are wearing safety glasses or better a whole face sheild and protect your arms etc. Wire wheeling is kind of hard on a grinder so don't get a ultra cheap one just a cheap one :D

6. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

What they said, plus use the wire "cup" as opposed to a wire "wheel". They have them so that they screw onto the grinder. They last a loooong time and work well. I stripped the entire body and frame of a car with 1 and about 1/4 of another one. I still use the 2nd one, and it's been about 6 years.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeppers, definitely grinder + wirewheel. I got a nice dewalt grinder from Home Depot on sale a few years back for like $29.99. That thing has been used and abused hard and keeps on truckin' along.

j

8. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Snap-on crud buster, it's electric. And prob. expensive. Otherwise, twisted strand cup style wire wheel on a angle grinder.

Don't forget goggles.

9. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

I used an electric drill and wire cup brushes to clean up my axle housings. Worked good. Also, wear really old clothes!!! My wife almost killed me.

10. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

Bought a Ryobi 4.5"

i went to home depot and bought the 4.5" ryobi angle grinder for $39.99-the 30$ one was in a box and the $40 had a case ,wire wheel ,2 cutting disk and grinding wheel i will get down with it this weekend and start on the under carriage and frame-thanks for the help