Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What tot do to keep tires from dry rotting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Jun 12, 2003.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

in between "modifications" my truck can sit for long--(like lots of months long) and I was thinking of what to do to kep them from rotting in the Hot sun (usually 100's around here)

any suggestions

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

1st suggestion- BECOME ORANGE!
    2nd look at Advance for some rubber protectant or armorall would work fine, just once or twice a week, keep them MOIST

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i'd like to hear some advice on this too.. i have a set of tires that are off-road only... if I get swamped with other $hit to do they can sit for long periods. Any advice on what will keep dryrot at bay?

j

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm just guessing since I've never had tires sit long enough to dry rot. But how about take them off your rig and put them in a garage, shed, or your house? Something where they aren't exposed to the sun or extreme heat, plus they don't have to support your 5,000 pound truck /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Just an idea, I'm sure other people will have better suggestions. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Keep em in the garage, or shade, or stand up pieces of plywood next to the tire's, to keep the sun off. Tire's are'nt cheap, scrap plywood is everywhere. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Keep away from anything with silicone in it, and I believe that includes armor-all.

Some kind of reaction with the silicone and UV, it "sucks the moisture" out of rubber or something. Covering them sounds like the best bet.

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Armoral will help them rot faster.
    Zaino makes a good treatment for tires.
    Actually the easiest is to get some tire covers from an RV shop or as mentioned lay some plywood against them.

8. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    RVs come with "bags" to put over the tires while they are parked. You could get make some kind of bag to put over the tires while it sits.

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Check out Summit for the sun covers that drag racers use. I'm not sure what the biggest size is though...

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

its a combination of ozone, UV light, and whatever else was left on the tires that cause them to crack. DO NOT USE ARMORALL. That stuff acutally breaks down rubber.

For long term storage, put them in black construction grade plastic bags, and some desica/silica (moisture asorbing) packets. Then zip tie them. This will keep the air/additional moisture out. You may also want to wash and then air dry the tires to make sure there are no petrol stuck on them.

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

take em off, use a tarp or an old towel to cover the tire... any kind of rubber protectant from the auto parts store would work....either way, keep the sun off them as best as possible and you'll be ok

12. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

yeah, idk what i was thinking, armor all protects LEATHER and vinyl sorry. . . hehe. . .but they do seel rubber protectant.

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

armorall does NOT protect leather, and is not intended for leather. Do not use them on your upholstry!

14. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I've been cleaning cars for my living for 2 years, and I can say that Armor-all is the worst thing you can put on your car. Exactly like they say, it sucks out the moisture. I see the same cars come in, they request it, and we put it on...but each time, it requires more and more to get a shine to where it doesn't shine anymore. If you're going to use something, use Black Magic as it has a different base or Leather cream. These protect better than anything else I've personally seen or used. But I second taking the wheels off and putting them somewhere in the shade or even in the A/C. Leaving them on the car can hurt the sidewall if you let it sit in the same spot for long periods of time.

15. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

one oldschool trick is to spray them periodically with WD40. and obviously getting the weight off them is beneficial for flatspotting..

16. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I store mine in my closet in my apartment. I would love to see the look on the landlords face if he ever opens that closet!! 4 big ole mud tires...still caked with mud!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif