Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Trailers Do You All Run?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Mar 1, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright, this should probably be in the tow and trailer section but it'll get a lot more replies here and with some of the rigs you guys are running I sure hope they're trailered and not street driven. I'm just wondering if you all drive over the trailer fenders and let some of the tire hang off the edge of the trailer, or use deck over trailers or what. Let me know and post some pics of your rigs loaded if you could. Thanks everyone. Sounds like a stupid question but my previous off road rig was my DD so it obviously didn't get pulled anywhere.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a 14k equipment trailer. It is not a deckover, it's 18 feet long and has a 2 foot dovetail. My truck fits on it just nicely, and it is big time overkill for my application.

Pics are in my webshots.

The next time it leaves my yard it'll be behind my new Ram.

3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

my trailer is a 30 foot 5th wheel travel trailer...really it is..got it for 200 bucks, then me and a buddy took a couple chain saws and cut up the trailer and striped it to the bare frame, then we got some 4x8 sheets of steel(heavy mothers) and weled them to the frame. put in a few d rings, strapps, all tat fun stuff. i can drive my k5 up on to it, and have made some "removable" ramps, so that my front tires sit on the flat part above the hitch, then i can park my charger behind it..its a tight fit but works great. one time we even got..dare i say, three cjs and two quads on it at the same time, doing the same thing, parking the front axle over the hitch.. so total cost...travel trailer $200..steal..$600 d rings, straps, chains, etc..$300....so about $1100 for a very versatile 30 foot trailer..i haven't looked recently but last time i did you couldn't pick up a 30ft flat bed/car hauler for that cheep, at least not in my neck of the woods..

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Here is mine. 18 footer with 2 foot dovetail. Rated at 10,400 with brakes on both axles.

I cant drive over my fenders. It came with removeable fenders. You had to unbolt four bolts per side and they would come off. That was a pain so I went with wingnuts on them and that still was a pain. So as of tonite I made them hindge out. You pull to pull-pins per side and they flip out on hindges and then flip back when your done and you put the pins back in. MUCH better this way. Much faster too.

[​IMG]

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

moritz buil 10k equipment trailer 20 ft. nice and heavy duty .

6. mikey_d05

...And everyone can get the weight distribution right even though you have to leave the rear tires behind the trailer fenders...?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes. I run my rear tires until they touch the fenders. If anything I have too much tongue weight, but I'd rather have too much than not enough.

8. mikey_d05

Alright, good deal, that was my main concern. I've got a good tow rig but if you don't set the combination up right in the first place it doesn't do you any good.

9. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

HD 18' (no dovetail) Bumperpull . The previous owner told me it was rated at 10k, but after finding out i'ts only got brakes on 1 axle I'm wondering if it's not.... The truck/trailer combo grosses 8500lbs loaded w/ spares & tools, so I put the rear tires to the fender to put more tongue weight on the tow rig (thus reducing the weight on the trailer alxes in case it is only a 7klber), and put the spares & tools in the bed of the tow rig also.

It's 82" from the inside of the fenders, so I have to run over 1 fender w/ the front 38.5" tires to get the truck onto it - no biggie, but I'll need to re-inforce the fenders soon

Sorry to butt in, but is there a way I can tell what the poundage rating on the axles are by lookng??

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, in Michigan, you can't have your tires hanging over the edge of the deck. Maximum deck width is 96". Maximum width outside of tire to outside of tire is 102".

Here is a picture of my truck on my trailer about an hour after I bought it sitting in front of the workshop (old houses with concrete floors make good workshops). 5" channel, 18'+2', 102" width, 82.5" deck, 3500lb axles, blah blah blah.

Not exactly ideal, but it cost me a couple hundred less than building it myself. I need to make some drive-over fenders for it and weld some 4" angle on the C-channel so I can have a wider deck.

[​IMG]

11. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

16 +2ft dovetail, 14k GVW Maclander. Delta trailer tool box on the tongue , Braden winch up front. Nicest towing bumper pull trailer I've ever used, tows smooth and straight no matter how its loaded. I've never had any need for a weight distributing hitch setup, regardless of whether Im using a 1/2 ton pickup, 9" lifted 1ton, or 1ton DRW. Definitely a nice trailer.

12. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

I use a 24 ft gooseneck dove tail float

13. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here is the one I had been using. We built it about 5 years ago now. Its got a winch and full hydraulic tilt bed. Heavy as a mother but pulls extremely well. I'm trying to talk my brother-inlaw into buying a gooseneck then he'll have an excuse to build a rig of his own because we could haul 2. This pic is from the past weekend leaving for a SC to NJ road trip.

attachment.jpg

14. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

currently a 5k 22' gooseneck dual axle single wheel. has that stoopid metal lip at both sides that sticks up aprox 3"... next trailer will be at least a 10k dual wheeled dual axle gooseneck. probably just a bit longer than the 22' I gots now. May also go with a pintle hook flatbed... very nice to be able to park the tires against the front of the trailer and have a little bit hang over the front :waytogo: will try to p[ost a pic of current trailer in a couple weeks when i get home.

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

PJ's 16ft dove tail, brakes on both axles, wood deck. The capacity is significantly less, 8000 lbs, but its enough to haul what I have.

16. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I DD my K/5 everywhere. Trailers are for boats.

J/K.. I'm just jelous of the tow rig/ trailer owners. (maybe thats why i haven't been to moab.) :grin:

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

18. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Mine's an 18' tandem axle 7k "car trailer" with dovetail and removable fenders plus a few mods I added. Better built than most with chanel and such.

And if you haven't already, check out www.towrig.com.

19. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

:haha: Beat me to it Bobby!

20. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Here;s mine. It's a Load-Trail. Dan, the guy I bought i from, made some sweet drive over fenders out of diamond plate with 5/8ths rod under for support

[​IMG]