Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What tranny could it be?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by burbBoy, Jun 22, 2003.

1. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

I found a 80's chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 6.2 and what looks like a 208 t-case but the tranny is what puzzles me. Its a 4 speed with reverse up to the left and the shifter is set back further from the dash unlike the sm465 im used to seeing. The tires are flat and it's in weeds taller then i am so i couldnt crawl under it to see what the tranny looks like. I would guess is some sort of side loader but i didnt think they were ever offered in a 4x4. Any ideas?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't know as they were offered with the diesels, but I've seen a factory 208 equipped truck with the "side loader" 4 speed before.

Shifter "console" part of the 208 shifter? Same piece of plastic? IIRC thats how the one I saw was set up.

Not too common, I believe after the early 80's the 465 was the only 4spd manual available.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

6.2 Diesel?? They never offered or made any diesels with manuals from the factory in that era. So if it's a 6.2 diesel with a manual tranny, it's a custom job...

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    6.2 Diesel?? They never offered or made any diesels with manuals from the factory in that era. So if it's a 6.2 diesel with a manual tranny, it's a custom job...

[/ QUOTE ]

The 6.2 was not available before 82 so if it's an 80 it's not stock and any tranny could be behind it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Kennedy

Kennedy Registered Member

It's an NP A833 4-speed that was commonly ised in early GM diesel trucks and in just about every Mopar from the '60s and '70s.