Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What tranny do I have? Edit: UPDATE....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Apr 3, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, My question is I have a 84 k5 with 350,208, and its auto, but I dont know which tranny it has,(either the TH350 or the TH700-R4). I remember someone saying about having a box around the "d" but I couldn't remember what was which. I do have a box around the "d". Any help would be great. Thanks

-Steve

<font color="red">UPDATE </font>

Well I finally got under the blazer and found out I have a THM350 tranny. Thanks for all who helped me out /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Another reason why I love CK5 and the people on here /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Re: What tranny do I have?

uum, do you have 4 gears on the shift indicator? how many times does it click into a position, most likely anyways, it's a 700 if all is factory.

BTW, the box around the "D" on your shift indicator,indicates OverDrive

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I haven't drove it yet because I bought it with-out a engine, I just put 350 because that was stock. Is the 700 a stronger tranny than the 350? Or other way around. Thanks for the reply!

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Look at the pan on the tranny. If its square with no notch in it, its a T400. If its square with the notch it could be a T350. I'm not sure what a 700R4 pan looks like. Someone please chime in here and fill in my blank. Hope that helps!

Kris

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Is there a way to tell with out looking at the pan?

6. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Look at the column shifter and see how many "positions" it has for forward gears. A T350/T400 will have: D, 2, 1. A 700R4 will have: D (with a circle around it), 3, 2, 1. Don't let that be the only way you check though, because I have an 84 K5 with a 700R4 column in it and a T400 tranny. PO swapped trannies out.

Kris

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

The 700 pan is sort of rectangular shaped, close to a square, but longer.
    Hell i dunno /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Dude, the TH400 pan is shaped like texas, the 350 pan is square with a corner cut off, and the 700 pan is square.

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

You have a 700, or at least, you should. The ring around the D is for OD, or overdrive, indicating a four-speed auto, which is the 700R4.

If you bought the truck sans motor, you might get under there and check what is actually present, but you're supposed to have a 700.

'82 was the first year for the 700, and by '83 it was the only automatic in Blazers. (Once again, the Brochures page comes in handy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) An '84 would, therefore, either have a stick, or a 700.

-- A

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I do have a box around the "d".

[/ QUOTE ]
    You basically answered it yourself if it's stock. Do you have a TV cable? [ QUOTE ]
    I haven't drove it yet because I bought it with-out a engine, I just put 350 because that was stock. Is the 700 a stronger tranny than the 350? Or other way around. Thanks for the reply!

[/ QUOTE ]
    A stock 84' th700 is a turd basically, chances are that it has been gone through at least once and hopefully it was upgraded to the larger shafts, sprags, and planetaries.
    Your stocker isn't as durable as a th350 but it does have some of the same internal parts in the earlier models. You can get it rebuilt and make it pretty strong , comparable to a th400 but costs a lot of money to build.

11. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    http://www.nastyz28.com/transid.html

Here is a link that will help you identify your tranny and shows the shapes of the pans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats perfect, that should do it for him. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Plain and simple. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Here is a link that will help you identify your tranny and shows the shapes of the pans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woah, That is really helpful. I'll have to print this out and put it up in the shop, but first bring it out and identify! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Thanks Bruiser!

P.s. What is a TV cable, and what does it do. As you can tell I don't no very much about this stuff. Sorry /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Woah, That is really helpful. I'll have to print this out and put it up in the shop, but first bring it out and identify! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Thanks Bruiser!

P.s. What is a TV cable, and what does it do. As you can tell I don't no very much about this stuff. Sorry /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Small update at top. Thanks everyone /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif