Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Tranny is this

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ks2krpt, Mar 9, 2003.

1. ks2krpt

ks2krpt Registered Member

I guy is selling a Tranny and married T case from what he claims was a 1991 Chev 1500 4x4. The Tranny is a 5 speed OD
    but it has no id plate. It is NOT a NV-4500. It looks more like a ford M5R2 4WD. The Tranny case is almost oval, made from aluminum and has ribs on the outside. The T case is left hand output to the front diff. I looked at it and can verify, there are no ID plates. Any idea what this is ?
    He claims he rolled the truck and thus pulled the drive train. If its GM, does it have the same bell house as a CH 465? Thanks for any help. He only wants $250 and its really clean.

Paul

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

If it really came out of a 91 GM wouldn't it have to be a NV4500?
    Maybe someone will have a better Idea than me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif If you could put up a pic of it that would help.

Eric

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It might be a Getrag 5 spd. They were also used in Fords, but I don't know the desig #.

4. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

If the bellhousing is made on the trans it's prob the Muncie/Gertrag 5spd.Pretty good trannies,but,first gear isn't low anough.4 to 1 first gear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif There was also one called MT 8,possible it's that if it has seperate bellhousing.Haven't seen one so can't say for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. ks2krpt

ks2krpt Registered Member

I Think you hit the right tranny. The BH is part of the tranny. Can you give a model number so I can look up specs ? What T case would GM have married to it.

Thanks for the help. I agree, the low gear is now low enough.

Paul

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator