Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what transfer case should i use?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by freeflow, Nov 3, 2005.

1. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody im brad, pretty new here

ok here's what im planning. I have a 84 suburban c20 that im turning into 4 wheel drive. Im wondering what transfer case i should use im gonna keep the 454, turbo 400 thats in the truck , already got the 14 bolt FF in the back. could i use a 208 i have one that came off a 700r4. Or should i get a 205 and which one would i need to bolt upto the 400?
    Im just getting started on the 4x4 seen and im a chevy guy all the way im thinking getting a membership for here pretty soon then i can put some pics up. :D

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Welcome aboard. I would go with a 205 but i'm not sure what t-case was behind your current tranny so i'm not sure if it will work with the rear output stickout length of your tranny. You would definately need the 400/205 adapter though.

3. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

I would look for a divorce mounted 205 -- that way you get to keep your same 2wd tranny, and have the advantage of equal length drive shafts.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I highly doubt he would be able to have equal length driveshafts considering it is a suburban and not a blazer or truck.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

with a divorced tcase, you can put it any where you want, so you can run equal length driveshafts. with a divorce tcase in a blazer, i don't think you can run equal length driveshafts because by the time you set the tcase back far enough to run a midshaft with a slipyoke, the rear is gonna be shorter than the front.

if the tranny is 2wd, i would see about going with a divorce tcase. if you go with a married tcase, you will have to swap out the output shaft (must tear apart tranny to replace) for the correct length shaft for the tcase you wanna run not to mention find the correct adapter.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agreed on the divorced case, if his th400 is 2wd. Those divorced 205s are pretty common/cheap too compared to 32-spline married 205s...

j

7. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

ya its a 2wd 400, i dont know anything about divorced transfer cases, what trucks did the come in and how would i mount it? should i look for a crossmember that will work, or should i build my own. And can i keep the stock crossmember thats in there for the 400 now?

8. jekbrown

Nothing exotic about a divorced case... its just a tcase that is connected to the tranny by a short driveshaft instead of being bolted directly to it with an adapter and input/output shafts. They are kinda neat in that you can decide where you want the t-case... but not so neat in that its one more thing that can wear out/break. Ujoints in those shafts aren't going to be as durable as a married case. Still, its the best option if you plan on keeping your tranny and swapping your front axle.

Lots of Fords use them. Best thing to do would be to find a parts truck and score the drivers-drop front axle and the divorced t-case in the same rig. Not sure what year fords would be best.. but the mid-70s would be the best place to start. Added bonus of all this is that those cases/axles aren't as in high demand as the chevy stuff, so it ought to be cheaper. Those old fords also have crossover-like steering from the factory don't they? I dunno... the ford guys over on pirate could tell you all about 'em I'm sure.

j

9. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

ok so what if i decide to go with a mated transfer case? what do i have to do to the 400? just a new output shaft im thinking of rebuilding the tranny anways 200,000+ on it and would any 205 case work or do i need a certain one. And anybody got front spring hangers they dont need cause i'll take em.lol

10. jekbrown

Not sure what you'd have to do to the 400 to give it a 4x4-style output shaft... try your local craigslist.com... you can find th400s pretty cheap on there all the time. As far as the 205 goes, you'll need the 32-spline version that came behind the th400 from the factory... or you could get the cheaper th350 version and swap out input shafts. Either way, it probably won't be "cheap".

Front spring hangers? you mean the thing that the shackle hangs from? I might have a set FS soon... :grin:

j

11. Elmer

Elmer Registered Member

the old dodges

some of the the mid 70's dodge power wagons and retired old governmet veichels like the forestry dpt or military my 1975 dodge 1/2 ton extra cab had one an I got it from an forestry auction in the late 80's but any off road junk yard has them I paid $300.00 for my last one pluss the core of course

12. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I just got a divorced International NP202 for free. Its like a 205 but no aluminum. They are pass drop, too.

13. dbabicky

dbabicky 1/2 ton status

1967-1972 Ford trucks had them, especially the 3/4 ton and up. Also look for Ford work trucks such as dump trucks and the like.

14. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Ok guys i need the front spring hangers so i can get the axle in. I need both front hangers and the core support mount, can i get them online anywhere? or should i go junkyard huntin?

thanks guys.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

too late..

DAM!..I knew I shoulda saved those front spring hangers off the 73 K10 chssis I cut up for scrap last week!..but I was afraid I'd be tempted to bolt then on my 79 C10 and make it a 4x4 :p: --that and the scrap prices would drop if I waited any longer..they were in good shape too.. :mad:

I think I read on here somewhere you can use a coil spring ford 4x4 front end,and the springs line up with the towers on the GM 2wd frames,so you wont need leaf springs,or shackles at all..sounds easier than drilling a buch of holes in your 2wd frame,and chopping rivets off a 4x4 frame to get the brackets,and having to remove the entire front crossmember,which involves pulling the motor,or supporting it with a hoist....maybe someone else saved that post,or has a link to it.. :thinking: :ears:

I've done a few "conversions" that way..I'd buy a 4x4 "rolling chassis" and swap the sheet metal over to it before I did another "conversion"tthat way again....but if you could use the coil sping Ford axle,and keep the front crossmember original ,and a divorced Ford NP205 case,that would save lots of work and time..keep in mind the REAR spring hangers are taller on 4x4 trucks tha 2wd's.(both of them I think),--you'll have to change them too,or the truck will look like its sqatting in the rear after its "converted".. :crazy: