Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Transfer Case will marry

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ks2krpt, Mar 15, 2003.

1. ks2krpt

ks2krpt Registered Member

I am doing a complete drive train swap. I have a Cummins/Dodge with a 4x4 NV-4500 Tranny. I need to find a T Case that will marry to the NV-4500 with right hand front output to diff. I want to use either a NP-205 or Nv-241.
    What truck, make, model and year would have the proper T Case.

Thank You
    Paul

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

241 from 89-91 will bolt up as long as it has the 32 spline input gear. The input is pretty easy to swap in if necessary. The NP208 from 81-88 will also bolt right up with the correct input gear.

For a 205 I think you need one that is 85 or later with the 6 bolt pattern and a 32 spline input as well. I'm not sure if there would be enough contact between tranny output and T-case input using the NV's adaptor and the 205 though. I guess you could measure the output length and compare to the input depth on a 241 or 208 and see how that compares with the 205.

The NV4500/205 is the combo i eventually want to run. I have the NV4500 (just needs to be rebuilt...) and I'm pretty sure I can modify my 205.

Rene

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    That will be a nice setup when you get done with it.

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Ive heard from many sources (though dont know personally) that an NP205 from an 89-93 dodge 3/4 or 1 ton that had the 5 speed Getrag trans will bolt directly to that particular NV4500. Its got the correct bolt pattern and its a passenger side drop.

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Is the 4500 from the Dodge or are you using a GM 4500 version ? Either way watch for the input gear on the 205 or 241 , Dodge for the most part used 23 spline and the larger 29 spline while as you know the GM versions used the 32 spline female for the 4500.
    Tom
    Just as a note : the 241 will allow the interchange of input gears as the 205 does. So if you go w/ a GM 241/205 version than you could swap in the propper gear and vise/versa.

6. ks2krpt

ks2krpt Registered Member

The NV4500 is Dodge. I have also heard the same that a 89-93 NP-205 that was behind a 5 spd Getrag is a bolt and play.
    But it was just some people talking without and definite knowledge. Now with the input here today saying the same, there must be a sound basis.

Does anyone know how to identify a Dodge 89-93 NP-205 from the 5 spd Getrag. Any Casting numbers to go by. I live very remote in the Adirondack Mountains. I will probably end up having to buy and have it shipped. I want to be absolutely sure they are sending the above, nothing else. There must be some number id to go by ??? Once I get the NV-4500 married to the NP-205, I will have some Cummins/GM
    parts including a SM-465 for sale or trade for some needed Dodge Parts. I will post when everything is in place.

Thanks
    Paul