Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what transmission to use

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bulldawg71, Jul 10, 2001.

1. bulldawg71

bulldawg71 Registered Member

I have a 72 Chevy PU with a 4 speed transmission, and a 205 transfer case. I am planning on installing a 396 BB motor and want to put in an automatic transmission. I need some help on to what transmission that I need and what will I need to make the swap. I know that the splines are different on a straight shift and can someone give me some direction on what I need and where to get these parts.

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Not really too big a deal. First you need to figure out which automatic you want to run. This will determine which input gear you need for your NP205. Most commonly, you will want to run the gear with a 27 spline male input shaft on it for a TH350. If you want to run a TH400, you need the input gear with the 32 spline female input, a larger input bearing to match the gear, and machine work on the case body so that the gear and bearing will fit. National Drivetrain should be able to get any of those gears for you.

If you will be adapting a 4-speed automatic to the setup, you will probably need the 27 spline setup and an adapter kit from Advance Adapters.