Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what truck came with 3 or 4 wire O2 sensor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i was doing some reading over at cfm-tech, i want to swap out my 1 wire O2 for a 3 or 4 wire unit. i'd like to know what trucks came with these style sensors,so when i go to the parts counter guy i can tell him a year/make/model.

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Jon... I just did this last week to my 89 v3500 BB.... from the cfm site info
    I have their stuff on my truck

I used a later 90's model chevy.... bosch... they were all the same for many years... I went the three wire... the four wire was more money more effort and I felt really not necessary... it was the same BB or SB

I find my truck definately goes to idle quicker now... (I have a test pipe with no cat in between smogs)... no engine codes get thrown so it all works as written up... I havent done a mileage check yet to see if there is any real world affectation... I doubt there will be but who knows

cam

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Do you have a part number?

Harley

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

hey cam how sit going?
    you have a link to that article?
    thanks man,
    dale

5. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

Surpip here's the article.
    Camsk5 exactly which parts did you put on your 350?, did you notice the extra "40 rear wheel hp", as per what the article claims?

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I went to Advanced the other day and through a random car out looking for one. IT was like a 97 S10 Blazer, it has 4 wires. I told the guy, look man I just need a 3 wire O2 sensors I was just throwing out a random car. He goes and looks in the Bosch book. Comes back and simply says, "no". When a parts guy says that too me I don't argue I just leave, I'm sure he has one on the shelf behind his stupid ass but he just doesn't know it. Rather than insult him or whatever I left and figured on making a trip to Napa this week.

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

sweet thanks!! but how do you hook up the 3 wire? just a constant 12v lead, ground and sender wire?

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

9. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

guys
    I dont have a part number... I have a good parts man... basically I took my old two wire in and said give me a 3 wire that fits this thread from a later chevy,,,, he said all of them have the same thread so we looked at the bosch book and at chevy tucks and found a 3 wire from a mid to late 90s sb....I compared the tip and it all looked good

40hp..... no I do think so... I have the stack and plate... I run a K and N.... I use a factory hei bolstered by a 6a mallory 8.5 mm wires and hp coil....
    I think maybe 15 hp... but it winds easily and gets about 2/10 mpg better real world....

It obviously saves gas as the choke closes quicker... and its real helpful because I run catless ... for test purposes only ..of course.. the motor didnt throw codes without the cat but the computer always wanted to keep the choke open longer because of longer warmup....

I hope this helps....

cam

PS

Dale ..Im good... woking hard on my resto of the other v3500.... its coming along nicely... just finished up the dually rear disc project... Blackbird Trucks kit.... a prototype... good people!!!

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Anyhting 96 and up should have a HO2S (heated oxygen sensor) 3 wire.