Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What trucks to look for when hunting donor axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jan 13, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK, I have 87 K5. I'm wanting to call around to the junk yards looking for donor trucks for axles. What years are good for parts, what should I look for when I go?
    I figure it might cheaper to buy a junk 3/4 or 1ton truck and strip it than just ask for the axles?
    Am I just wanting an early 80's 1-ton pickup? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    I'm still not real good at identifing axles, I printed out the axle page on here but drawings dont help much. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think it's 78 to 87 pick-ups and burbs. Make sure to count the lugs. You want the 8 Lug not the 6 Lug version. [​IMG]

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> FOr one ton you want to find a 77-91 1 ton. 3/4 tons will work from 73-87, but if you stay with 77-87 then you'll avoid the early design of the D44. Easiest way to ID a D60 is the fact that the passenger side spring is held on with 1 u-bolt and two studs (or bolts) rather than 2 u-bolts like on a 10 bolt or a D44. There will also be a "60" cast into the webbing of the housing on the bottom right of the diff cover, right on the front.

The 14b FF is easy to ID, it is a very distictive axle. If the cover has 14 bolts and it's not round/oval, then it's a 14 bolt FF.

For lots of pics of both axles (in the same kind of condition that you will likely find them) you can check out my webshots. D60 14b FF
    </font color>

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

It's going to be pretty hard to find a 1 ton that still has the axles under it in a junk yard. You might luck up with a set but it's pretty rare. 3/4 tons are fairly easy to find. On the 1 tons look for one from 77 to 91. Just a note, from 77 to 79 the Dana 60 had neck down shafts and 80 and newer didn't but the 77 to 79 ones can be swapped out to non neckdown shafts which are stronger. Also if you need the e brake you will want a 14ff that the e brake cables both run up the driver side. The passenger side e brake cable will cross over the axle above the pinion to the driver side. That was a change sometime in the early 80's. I don't remember the exact year but I think it was 82.

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

hey jermiah, do u have n e spare 350's or bigger? i spun a bearing in mine and i need one for the time being bfore i can get mine rebuilt. im gonna make it into a 383, but its gonna take me some time to get the money i need. if ya do, gimme a call or let me know plz. thanx. o yea, r u gonna use that 14bff i sold ya?

NITRO

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Be sure to check the local classifieds. I bought a 79 3/4 ton complete and running, (350/th400/203/d44/14ff) for $300. Ive seen some around lately. Ill keep my eyes open if yould be interested in driving to IL.

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You could buy a 1 ton truck and then just switch the axles and then sell the truck as a 1/2 ton. Might be a free way to do it.

8. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

My brother told me he got his 14b ff off a chevy van. dont know what year it was or anything though.

9. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I'm here in IL, near the IL-IN border and my cousin has a 4x4 shop and has or can usually find anything ya need. He basically has his own 4x4 junkyard out back with piles of different axles. So if you don't have any luck finding what ya need let me know. Of course the dana 60's are still hard to come by, but 3/4 ton stuff he has alot of. Let me know if I can help.

10. jjlaughner

Cool pics always help, here's my 14bolt and 12bolt I've got in the garage.
    [​IMG]

11. jjlaughner

COOL! pics much appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. jjlaughner

Yeah, please do! Only bad thing is working 6 nights a week 3rd shift cuts out most traveling I want to do! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. jjlaughner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You could buy a 1 ton truck and then just switch the axles and then sell the truck as a 1/2 ton. Might be a free way to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually I would swap the 1ton stuff to the blazer and move the 1/2ton stuff and the snow plow from the blazer to the truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. jjlaughner

Yeahs theres several people around here with 3/4ton stuff I just have to find the one that wants to get rid of it the worst (the cheapest)! Thanks, where abouts are you in ILL?

15. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I'm in Momence, Its near Kankakee. About 8 min from Lake village IN.

16. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

You think your cousin might have a set of d44 3/4 ton caliper backing plates he would sell me?

17. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I'll be out there Sat. working on my Blazer so I'll ask him or take a look if he's busy.