Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What type of CB antenna to use??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TB2Blazer, Dec 19, 2004.

1. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well I just got a new CB and need an antenna and was wondering which is better as far as reception and distance goes. I can either get a wilson 5000 10" antenna which is smaller http://www.cbcity.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cat=82&cart=158474 or a longer whip style antenna which is about 102" or something like that anyone have any experience with them as far as the whip compared to the smaller 10 inch?

2. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

get both, get the wilson for the trails as the whip antennas tend to fly around and hit things/people... but get the whip for highway use when distance is the key. Unless you wheel alone and need the extra range to call for help..

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

The 102SS will X-Mit and Receive better than a 10" antenna. The 102" is a 1/4 wave...as far as i know the Wilson 500, 1000, and 5000 never had a 10" whip with those mounts. Could it be that it was cut down for looks? If so i would suggest not using it or you will probably damage your CB due to high VSWR from the wrong length antenna.

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I used the Wilson 5000 on my big rigs when I was a truck driver. The Wilsons antennas are adjustable to maximize the gain on your radio.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

New thought.

I clicked on the link in your post. I though you were refering to a base loaded antenna as that is all i have ever seen on a trail rig. Along the same lines i have no experiance with the center loaded antennas like you posted. I have owned a few 102SS whips though and they work great and are cheap.
    The only downfall is how tall it will make your truck. My 98 Z-71 was just under 14 foot tall with my 102"

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am using a Wilson 1000. It works pretty well, I like it. It is alot better then the cheap crap I used to have from Raido Shack.

Harley

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The 102" whip will perform better and it is about $40.00 cheaper, and very difficult to break. I have hit mine on many low clearance obstacles, sometimes at 70 mph, and it still hasn't broken.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

They dont call it a "whip" for nothing!

The 102" whip will usually be the best for distance,since its a full 1/4 wave antenna--the smaller antennas use a "loading coil" to make up for the loss of physical length,and are not as efficient,but many come close in performance--the "firestick" brand of antennas used to be the top dogs,but I havent been into CB's for a while,there might be some other brands as good out there now--I liked the firestick because they had an adjustable tip you could screw in or out with a locknut for ease of tuning and lowest SWR...

I had a 102" stainless whip on most of my trucks for years..one day I went under a real low bridge near my sisters house,and the antenna bent way over as I went under--when I emerged from the other side,a guy was standing there and got "whipped" by the antenna when it sprang back!--luckily he wasnt injured badly,he could have gotten an eye poked out,and I am lucky he didnt want to sue me!!--thats when I started using the 4 foot firesticks!.:laugh: