Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What type of locker up front?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cegusman, Feb 8, 2002.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

What is the best strong locker to put up front in a dana 44 3/4t? I mostly mud, but often climb sh*t, and posibly will do mild rocks. I do not want it to act like spool were I lose my turning. I have 36x12.50-16.5 TSL SX's.

Houston, TX
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/cegusman>http://community.webshots.com/user/cegusman</a>

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I dont have the answer, but I've been wondering the same thing. I've got the same axle, open. And 36s as well. I want a locker, but don't want to dump a heap of cash into a 3/4 ton axle. Would a lockright or something hold up and not break shafts? anyone? Sorry to jump on your post, but I had a similar question and didn't wanna start a whole new thread. Thanks.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I was looking at what I think was called a true trac. Complete worm gear assembly where you unbolt your entire innerds and swap this in. You might need to keep your ring and pinion... I dont know much on this end....
    I would like to know also...

1978 Chevy 3/4 - 14" leafs -dana 44w/4.56's -14 bolt corp w/4.56's on 40x17x16.5 Ground Hawgs on 16.5x12 steel rims-NP205&SMC465

4. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    ARB!!! Oh wait, you dont want to spend a lot of money. Well, in that case, you can weld the front spider gears, and if you are on a tight trail get out and unlock one hub so you can turn. Then you have 3 wheel drive. The other option which will probably work best for you is to buy any posi unit built for the D44.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

screw it, if those are my only options, I'll save up for the D60. LOL...I just hate the idea of dropping any cash into an axle that's gonna break. and break again.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Anybody with experience, what does eveyone putt in the dana 60's?

Houston, TX
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/cegusman>http://community.webshots.com/user/cegusman</a>

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

YAAHH! i get to use the quote!

trutrac = expensive open dif

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

8. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Get a lock-rite. It will work just fine for you and the extra traction will far outweigh the loss of turning radius. I ran one in my 44 and it worked just fine.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken