Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What type of Sound deadener/ insullation to use?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Apr 22, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I tore out my carpet and am down to the bare metal in the passenger compartment...Now what should replace the crappy OEM insulation with? I was going to do a layer of <a target="_blank" href=http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&amp;User_ID=5757049&amp;St=1117&amp;St2=-55686745&amp;St3=77165253&amp;DS_ID=3&amp;Product_ID=7083&amp;DID=7>THIS STUFF</a> and then a layer of insulation but I don't know what type of insulation to use or even where to get any...Thanks for the help gang...I want to quite this thing down just a bit...

Chris

2. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

chris
    I can get you stuff to put down after you do the black stuff.
    can also get you carpet if you need it.

later
    travis

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

just Rhino it

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well, im gettin rdy to hurculiner in mine, its for a heat/sounds insulation, and then ill put the 'crappy' OEM stuff back in, and then carpet on top of that. My plan is more so if i get water in the cab, it will soak up into the carpet and dry, instead of sittin on the bare metal under the crappy oem stuff and rusting. When i took mine out i had a bit of surface rust beginning. Am herculining this coming weekend.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I dunno about the hercliner but the Rhino stuff is nice enough to loose the rotting carpet smell
    have fun

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I ordered my carpet kit from JC Whitney, and the carpet came with the insulation already attached. I didn't use any of the black OEM stuff. I don't have much problem with noise. I would bedline it, and then put in the carpet kit, then bedline the underpan. Thats way you don't have to worry about rust anymore. The 2 layers of bedliner should help out with noise deadening. Especially if you use the thicker stuff.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

is sound insultation is important, go with rhino or line-x. Herculiner is comparitively thin, and wont help much with respect to in-cab noise levels. Rhino/X are much thicker/denser and therefore better at that kinda thing. That said, if you aint rich (like me!) then herculiner is a good bed liner alternative.

J

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well, im in the poor bracket, so im herculining the cab, but when it comes to the bed ill probably do the Rhino, unless this herculiner stuff is REALLY good, but i didnt want to waste my cash on rhino for the inside when i got the herc for $60 the other day at pep-boys. Mail in rebates and sales do wonders when ur lookin at stuff. Glad i didnt have the hundred the week before or id be kickin myself.

9. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

This was just posted by an owner of a '52 Chevy pickup in a different forum for old Chevy trucks.

This may not be the right forum for this,but....
    Big tip for people redoing the inside of the cab.
    I have been comparing sound deadening products for efectivness and price. I decided on 'Dynamat Extreme' since it has four times the efectivness of regular 'Dynamat' and because it supposed to stick really well. (roof)
    THEN...at the eleventh hour...just before spending bookoo bucks on the Dynamat stuff,I found a product called "PEEL AND SEAL".
    Side by side with the "extreme" you can't tell the difference. The stuff is GREAT!
    It's alluminum backed,easy to work with,sticks like crazy and comes in 6"-9"-12" rolls.
    The rolls are 33.5' long. I did the entire cab with it,including the inside of the doors,roof,behind the gas tank,the foor and firewall. MY GOD,what a difference! All done for less than a third of the price!
    You can find it at roofing supply places,some Lowes,stores or Home Depot. Check out the "Peel&amp;Seal" web-page.
    You shut the doors now and it's as solid as a rock,no big-bell ringing/echo sound at all.

Hope this helps. He is obviously pretty excited about his discovery

10. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I use Grace Ice and Water Shield in my Bug. It costs around $90 for an entire roll (225 sq. feet) and is almost like dynamat, except it's a little thinner. But at that price, one roll will do your whole truck about 5 times for the cost of enough dynamat to maybe do both your doors. You can buy it from roofing supply companies or steal it from construction sites.