Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What type of winch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pplblazerdude, Apr 12, 2003.

1. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

Ok i am more then likely getting a winch for my blazer and cant decide what to get. On ebay they have mile marker 9000 pound winches for 465 to my door. What is your guys felling on this winch by the way its electric.

I am also looking at warns and ramseys if u guys could help me out on this one it would be much appreciated.

P.S. I dont wont to spend a arm and a leg on it sinceim turing 16 very soon and gots lots of crap to get.

Thanks Clint /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. hoosierk3500

hoosierk3500 Registered Member

Can't give an opinion on the MM,never owned one.Price seems decent.I do own a couple warns right now.They have always done me right.You might look into buying used,that is how I got both mine.Just my .02 Jason84k3500 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif85k2500 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I considered the same thing for a long time before I finally got my winch. I didn't want to spend extra money if not needed.
    I finally just looked around and saw that everybody was using Warns. Despite the MM being cheaper. There has to be a reason, and I think qaulity is that reason.
    I just got a XD9000 from 4WPW for a great price. Check 'em out.
    -- Mike

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

go look at Pierce sales winches

5. Mikeyg79

Mikeyg79 Registered Member

Nice stuff at Pierce. What do people think of planentary / worm gear drive? 12000LBS for $700 is tempting and hydraulic is nice.

6. One_Ton_k5

One_Ton_k5 1/2 ton status

7. straightBOGGINnMY74

straightBOGGINnMY74 Registered Member

WARN!! WARN!! WARN!! WARN!!

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I like worm drives and would not own a planetary

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I don't know. I've been looking at winches too and gathering people's opinions. There are several reviews of winches all over the internet.

I've been looking at Harbor Freight's el-cheapo winches which look exactly like Ramsey REP8000e winches with the badges missing. I don't have a lot of faith in an off-brand 8000lb winch but for $300 and the fact that the ORC Jeep guys seem to like them I've begun considering the Harbor Freight ones.

So what if you have to double line because "it's only an 8000lb winch". It sure beats nothing.

Before buying on eBay, shop around. 99% of the stuff on eBay is warrantyless and you can often get it off the internet for the same price elsewhere. There's been a guy selling REP8000s for $400 on eBay but you can find them for that price elsewhere... with a warranty.

10. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

ive got a warn XD900i on my truck and i like it aight. i wish my dad(he bought it for me for my b-day) had gotten me a HS9500i. they are more expensive but kmore poundage and faster line. if you get in the mud, 8000 is proably too low for alot of self extraction. i was trying to pull out a ukon denali for about 30 mins and my winch got too hot for my tastes. im not gonna burn it up, so im easy on it.

off topic, but are you going to oak ridge for the off-raod round up this year? if you are, i will proably be there, maybe we can ride on the same ride one day. hope this info helped

Bert

11. One_Ton_k5

One_Ton_k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Before buying on eBay, shop around. 99% of the stuff on eBay is warrantyless and you can often get it off the internet for the same price elsewhere. There's been a guy selling REP8000s for $400 on eBay but you can find them for that price elsewhere... with a warranty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I Despite the MM being cheaper. There has to be a reason, and I think qaulity is that reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I'd like to think that there's a reason that most of our militarys HMMWVs have milemarker winches on the front of them.

Oh, nevermind. Since when does MM make electric winches? Our HMMWVs have hydraulic MM winches on them, not electric.

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Since when does MM make electric winches?

[/ QUOTE ] Last year.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Since when does MM make electric winches?

[/ QUOTE ] Last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. I never knew.