Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Van Axle Do I Need?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dale fan, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

I'm a total newbie on drivetrain so I figured I'd ask the experts. The pinion bearing is starting to go out on my 10 bolt so instead of messing with it i want to upgrade. Van axles are plentiful here and i like the matching width factor they will provide. I'm wanting to stay six lug as a FF is overkill for what I use this /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif for. Just mud and snow, no rocks so I'm looking at the 14SF. My /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif is a 90 so it has the ABS on it. Do I need to find a newer one with the ABS or what? My yard here handy has a 88, 94, and 95 right now. I'm sure I will have to move the perches around but what would be the least difficult swap. Also what about the yokes? Will I need a conversion? By the way, my height and everything is currently stock but I am looking at going around 4" soon. Any suggestions you can throw at me will be great.

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Don't worry about ABS. Your K5 uses the speed sensor in the t-case for this. There are no sensors in the rear end.

Find out what overall width you need. 2wd and 4wd versions of the 6-lug 14SF differ by about 3-4". (4wd is wider)

A conversion u-joint will probably be necessary. the 14SF pinion is only 1/2" longer. Your driveshaft slip-joint can probably accomodate this. If not, the 4" lift will.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm a total newbie on drivetrain so I figured I'd ask the experts. The pinion bearing is starting to go out on my 10 bolt so instead of messing with it i want to upgrade. Van axles are plentiful here and i like the matching width factor they will provide. I'm wanting to stay six lug as a FF is overkill for what I use this /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif for. Just mud and snow, no rocks so I'm looking at the 14SF. My /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif is a 90 so it has the ABS on it. Do I need to find a newer one with the ABS or what? My yard here handy has a 88, 94, and 95 right now. I'm sure I will have to move the perches around but what would be the least difficult swap. Also what about the yokes? Will I need a conversion? By the way, my height and everything is currently stock but I am looking at going around 4" soon. Any suggestions you can throw at me will be great.

[/ QUOTE ]
    One problem you will run into.
    No Van came with 6 lug /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I had a van and was converting it to 4wd and did all the research to find a 6lug van width to no avail, so I switched to 8lug.
    They only come in 5lug and 8 lug.
    I haven't seen what the 2000 and up have but I wouldn't be looking at those axles anyway since they still are too expensive. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

One problem you will run into.

I had a van and was converting it to 4wd and did all the research to find a 6lug van width to no avail, so I switched to 8lug.
    They only come in 5lug and 8 lug.
    I haven't seen what the 2000 and up have but I wouldn't be looking at those axles anyway since they still are too expensive. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What about an axle off a 4x4 van? I know FedEx uses 4x4 Savannas. I always forget to look to see if they're 8 lug or not. They probably are. Since FedEx vans are independently owned they do go up for sale once in a while. They usually go in cycles of 3-4 years where you'll see a bunch of them for sale for cheap.

5. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Well if there's no six lug van (I'm going to call the yard tomorrow and check on theirs they had listed to make sure) what would have a 14sf six lug under it? I could always run spacers I guess.

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

88up high GVW half ton pickups. Some 3/4 tons. You'll be moving spring perches and shock mounts. It'll also have 14mm lugnuts instead of 7/16".

7. tom1987

tom1987 Registered Member

There is vans with 14bolt semi floaters with 6lug axle shafts I know because there is I guy that use to live next door to me that had one in his 98 2500 van

8. tom1987

tom1987 Registered Member

6 lug van it is a bit small but you can see that it is a 6 lug 2500 van

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

96-up 2500 series Savana/Express with 7300lb GVW (RPO C6A) has a 6-lug 14SF. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif