Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHAT WAS THE COST OF YOUR 14 BOLT CONVERSION?!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigTex, Mar 8, 2001.

1. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'd like to hear your opinions on this. I did a search with no luck. I haven't seen this discussed before but I think it would be very helpful to a lot of us. Anyway, I know a lot of you have done the Dana 44/14 bolt FF conversion. I am going to do that to mine very soon. This is my question: Do any of you have a price list of what the actual cost was for the conversion? How about a parts list? Of course this is assuming you did everything on your own. Some magazines list prices/costs for their projects, and I would be interested to hear from those of you who have already done the conversion. I got a great deal on some gears-matching junkyard 3/4 ton axles.

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Let's see. My 3/4 ton conversion came at the same time as a bunch of other stuff so......
    I bought a 3/4 ton truck for $250, kept the axles, sold the rest. Broke even.
    Tires and Wheels: $1300
    Suspension: $900
    Rear Discs: ~$100
    Misc Parts: ~$400

That pretty well sums it up. I could have cut out some costs here and there, but all in all, the conversion hasn't cost all that much seeing as how I'm changing a LOT of stuff while I do it.

Kyle
    89K5

3. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Kyle89K5. However, I'm talking about a COMPLETE description on what parts were used and what they cost. You know, aside from wheels and tires. I mean a parts list like u-joints, yokes, driveshafts, and like items on your "misc parts". $100.00 on rear discs? Now THAT is a good deal.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I bought an entire 3/4-ton truck for $850. Swapped the axles, tires and wheels between it and my K5. Cleaned up the truck real nice and sold it for $1400. Came out $550 ahead of the game! [​IMG] That paid for the 35 inch BFG Muds!

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

5. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Here is what I can remember from the swap.

Detroit 295.00
    Gears 185.00
    Gear Install kit 50.00
    Rear Disc Brakes 200.00 (TSM kit from a friend)
    U-bolts 40.00
    14 bolt 250.00
    New yoke(14BT) 60.00
    1350 yoke for 205 60.00
    New rear driveshaft 220.00
    New bearings and seals 60.00
    rear calipers 45.00
    spindle socket (14 BT) 30.00

I bought the driveshaft b/c I swapped in a 205 at the same time. I didn't pay for labor on the install for the 14 bolt or the gears. My friend helped me set the gears up. I spent another 200.00 on new rotors, and new bearings and seals for the front. My wheels were 40 bucks a piece from discount tire. They are 15 x 10's, that way I didn't have to buy new tires. All of these prices aren't exact. I had to shop around a lot for a good price on the detroit and gears.

BIGJ

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Fair enough. I don't have a final count on the Misc $$
    Mainly the misc is new bearing and such. Ball joints. Tie Rod ends. Basiaclly just a rebuild of sorts that I figured would be easier since it was out. After taking it all apart, it wasn't necc. The trick U-joint and Wheels and Tires are in all honesty about the ONLY things really needed to do this. I don't remember how much the u-joint was, but it was pretty much like any other. Nothing special.

The discs are going to be kinda a custom deal. I didn't like the idea of spending the extra money to buy someone elses bracket that, after looking at it didn't make me feel real comfortable. I got a template from Brian60s that I took to a local steel mill and had them cut the brackets like I wanted. I also got a good deal from the place since they are one of my clients. The money for the rear disc came from the purchase of 2 rotors, 16 wheel studs, and 2 calipers. I've yet to get the e-brake figured out. I'm prob. going to get a short shaft kit for my 241 and do a transfercase mounted e-brake. KInda kill 2 birds with one stone. The cost for the shortshaft kit and fabbing up the bracket for the caliper won't exceed the price of the eldo calipers by much, and I'll have a longer driveshaft with 1350 series u-joints to boot.

If you have a lift already, then you'll have a lot less to do/spend than me. You'll need new u-bolts for the axles, they won't run you much at all.

Kyle
    89K5

7. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I'll try and take a stab at this.
    I got the axles and parts, but haven't put them under the truck yet, waiting till it warms up. I've also collected parts for a while, even before I had the axles, so that eased the cost a bit. But here it is:
    Rear
    Rear Axle: $300
    Detroit: $300
    TSM rear disk with flexible hoses: $380 (w/shipping)
    calipers: $40
    Pads: $24 (Titanium pads from JCW)
    Ujoints: ?? haven't bought yet
    Tires/Wheels/lugnuts/locknuts: $1478
    1.5" Wheel Spacers: $180
    U-Bolts: $30

Front:
    Axle: $1100
    Calipers: $60
    Pads: $24
    Turned rotors: $20
    Ubolts/plates: Included in axle price
    Ujoints: reuse old ones on truck
    Rock Rod w/ends: $130
    Steering stabilizer mount: $25

I had this typed for a while, but had to do something at work, now just got back.
    But I think that list is complete. I have other stuff as well, but didn't list it b/c you won't need it for a D44. You obviously won't need most of that stuff listed, but there are stuff that you do need. Depending if you have a lift or not, you will need a raised steering arm, or dropped pitman arm on that D44 if you got it off a stock truck. Cost for each is about $60 to $70. You'll either need one or the other or both.
    Good luck.
    Boss

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Its only some money, and a lot of your time !

9. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Jeez, where do i start? This is what it took just for me to get them home.
    $550 for d44/14ff 4.10 ratio that needed totally rebuilt.(Originally,the seller said they just needed some brake work and only wanted $300.)
    $130 gas for the trip to go get them over in hehaw land:)
    $110 for the BS speeding ticket going through Indy.
    Total so far, say, $750

Price to rebuild 14FF
    I dont even want to remember, but i replaced everything except ring and pinion and the axle shafts. Around $300
    $300 for 2 tires.
    $30 for spring plates
    $50 for front and rear u-bolt kit.
    U-joints $20
    Total for rear 14FF, say, $700

So thats around $1400 just to get the axles home and the 14FF rebuilt/installed.That was a about a year ago, and i still havent rebuilt the d44 yet:( Thus, still no 4x4. Jeez, at least i will have rebuilt 3/4 ton axles under my truck.

One From None

10. I paid $600 for both front and rear complements of Brians60s. the conversion u-joint was somewhere around $30 and new u-bolts were also around 30 or 40 bucks. used wheels and tires- ugly ones at best where $100- thanks to brian again. that got me on the road. it's really going to depend on what shape the axles are in when you get them. i have sense had to buy new rotors and one new hub and need to install a new rear pinion seal but have been too lazy. i think buying a whole parts truck is the way to go. you can recoup most or all of the money for the axles. good luck!

78, 350/350/203, 3/4 ton, 2.5" lift, 35" BFGs
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/>http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/</A>