Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What was the first 4X4 truck you ever went wheeling in?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, May 26, 2006.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

For me, it was a buddy of mine Father’s 1972 International Harvester (IH) Scout. It was back in 1974. My buddy and me snuck it out, and took it wheeling around a lake, with a large forest area surrounding it. That thing was pretty clean because his Father hardly ever drove it anywhere. We figured out how to lock it in 4X4, and took it for some 4-LO crawling, and I have been hooked on wheeling and trucks ever since.

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

1979 Dodge Power Wagon model D100 , with white spokes and BFG's . I remember vaguely riding in the cab with my Dad in Michigan bouncing around while he flew through snow . He got a better job . I started kindergarten .

Then nothing really until I bought my truck in 2001 .

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  3. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

1984 Jeep Scrambler, family friend let me drive it in the back woods on Cape Cod in Mass. before I got my license, I was probably 15.....coolest thing EVER :D

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

'77 Blazer I bought in '89. Mostly goofed around with it, and stupidly sold it about 6 months later.

Rene

5. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

First thing I drove in 4lo was a 1983 chevy half ton diesel farm truck. Got stuck of course. Thank god gramps had a "farm jack" AKA high lift behind the seat and the girls were good log scavengers!

6. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

91 blazer stock. its owned by leper. it was only about a year and a half ago. but im hooked.

lol

7. gaspass

gaspass 1/2 ton status

A 1956 Chevy shortbed stepside with the Napco 4x4 conversion. That thing was a tractor in disguise. It would go anywhere, but not very fast because of the little stovebolt inline six. But it had a lot of torque. It would pull out stumps without even chopping the roots. It did everything for our family, from streatching fence to hauling elk out of the mountains. When I was in high school my dad bought a used 73 Blazer and gave the old Chevy to me. I took a lot of grief for driving that old thing all the way through college in the mid 1980's. But I have been as loyal to the truck as it has been to me. That is why I STILL HAVE IT. I've heard so many guys lamenting that they wish they'd never sold an old favorite of theirs. I'm glad I never did, despite numerous offers. Now that I've mostly raised my kids I plan to start a rebuild of the old truck. It will be a slow process because of funds. But I'm not sure if I should restore it and turn my DD 72 Blazer into a trail runner, or restore the Blazer and turn the 56 into a one of a kind trail/rock rig. What way do you all think I should go?

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I just couldn't bring myself to cut up a Napco conversion truck. Clean it up and let it be what is has been for the past 50 years.

My first wheeling experience was in a '64 CJ-5 with a buick V6 exploring old mining roads in West Virginia. I have been hooked on anything that has 4wd and predates the term SUV ever since

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

'75 Blazer. Hunting with my Grandfather. Seems that he never hunted anywhere that was easy to get to.:D I have loved FS Chevy's ever since.

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

11. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

We need pics :deal: ..........and please restore the 56, and wheel the heck out of the blazer :bow:

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

'79 K20 that belonged to my uncle we put a 4" lift on it, and a set of 35" BFG MTs back in the early 90s. he's still got it, but its been torn apart since '99.

13. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

my grandpa had a 86 GMC pickup, the first one I drove was my 1977 Maverick. It had a california special 250 in it and was a wheelin pig, rocks mud you name it.

14. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

89K5 That was left to me when my grandpa past away. I wish he was here to see it now.:(

15. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

dad's 83 bronco. black, rusty, and a baaad 351. i was probibly 6 and i got to drive it. fields and woods around west ky haven't been safe since. since then, i've had a 4x4 ranger, a z71 sport side, a k2500, and 2 blazers. only one 2wd, my 54.

16. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i was first taken wheeling in my dad's wrangler. first vehicle i drove off-road was my 94 FWD toyota tercel down in AZ. got a wheel off the ground once from some serious flex, and spent an hour or so digging it out of a sand pit once too. good times.

17. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

78 chevy stepside 350, 350, 203 , 38s it was the only thing that get across the swamp other then a canoe !! big nasty, smelled like chainsaw oil, aaa memorys

18. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]4 X 2, drove it through Mightmare Gulch North of Mojave. I didn't know how not to do it. :haha:

19. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

<----- this one. its was my first vehicle that i got when i was 16. used to put my friends snowmoble in the back then follow him in my truck. only had 31's then.

20. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

My dads brand new 1973 red & white K5. :woot: I was about 6 years old. About 10 years later I had my own 77 K10 :thumb: