Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What was your best deal

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by wayne, Mar 16, 2001.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I don't mean what was given to you but I like those storys too. I guess my best one was I traded a guy that had a 55 Chevy with a 283 and he wanted a 327. I had a 327 that I paid $25.00 for that needed to be rebuilt and he wanted it. So he traded me a 71 Elcamino that had a 4 bolt 350, TH350, and a posi rear. The camino was also a air condition, bucket seat with auto on the floor with console truck. The body was not the best but it ran good and the interior was mint except for the carpet. When he made me the offer I don't have to tell you how quick I jumped on it. I even used the Elcamino to deliver the 327 to him. Wish I still had it but a friend offered me a $1,000 and I said sold. The guy I got it from even paid for the title transfer. Now that I think was a good deal.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails[​IMG]</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

2. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

About 5 years ago i was building a deck for a guy and he came home and opened his garage:) There was a mint 83' Blk/Blk 6cyl(non turbo, 60,000 mile) 5spd Toyota Supra.He said it was for sell.That night my PoS truck broke down for the last time.The next day the guy said he would sell it for $3500. I got a loan and bought it for $3200:) It was his wifes car, so it had never been ragged on. It still smelled new inside.The funny thing is, he paid a moving company $1500 to ship it from Oregon to Ohio the year before.And it sat in his garage untill i bought it.A year later i spun it around on an icy overpass, doing over $4000 damage to it(It didnt look that bad).I sold it to a guy for $600 that was going to give it to his daughter as her first car to learn how to drive in.

One From None

3. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I was driving in Fairfield, CA one day and noticed the Unified School District was selling surplus vehicles in an empty lot. The first time I drove by, there were a couple of cars, 3 pick-up trucks and a dump truck. I drove by again about 3 hours later, and saw the cars were gone and there was one pick-up left and the dump truck was still there. I drove by again about 2 hours later and saw the guy sitting in the hot sun waiting for a buyer for the last vehicle...the dump truck. I pulled in and asked if he had any pick-up trucks but he said they were all sold. I said thanks and started to walk back to my car. He called out to me and said "how about a dump truck?" I said I didn't need a dump truck, but wanted a pick-up. He said "make me and offer". I said "One Hundred Bucks, just joking. He said "Sold!" This was a 2 ton Dodge dump truck with a 5 yard box, 4-speed and 2-speed rear end. The only thing wrong with the truck was the 2-speed rear end didn't shift. When I got it home, I discovered it had an electric shift so I replaced the switch (about $8) that was attached to the gearshift lever thinking that was a good place to start. To my surprise, that fixed it. It shifted perfectly after that. After driving it around for a few days just for fun, I ran an add in the paper and sold it the morning the paper came out for $3,000. It sold so fast, I realized I could have got more for it, but hey, no need to be greedy.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

4. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I paid $275 for my 75 Firebird. It was complete (or competely rusted - one or the other!) with a TH350 tranny and a Pontiac 350 and a good dash and the drivetrain was good. Some new fuel lines, carb, and starter and it runs and drives now. Should have it inspected in a few days!

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>
    My truck beat up your SUV

5. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

I bought my wifes 73 impala for $600.00 it had 37000 miles and the spare had never been used. The car looked like it just drove off the showroom.

[​IMG]IF EVERYTHING WORKS IT AINT A REAL TRUCK[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well my best deal happened a few years ago... I was 19 and driving an all original 70 Z28 w/ 40k on it durring the summer and and a toliet bowl F*rd 4x4 that was a 6 cyl FI... (rusty but trusty[​IMG]), but it was about 400 miles away in Minneapolis... I was in the first year of college and had no time to go get it... well the Z28 was put away as was my drag car and a good friend was driving me everywhere and my gf was getting me to work and back. First snow hit and I guy came in w/ a nice looking 70 Duster... Gold... said it kept dying when hit the gas so I went for a test drive w/ him... carb was shot from the feel... he cussed said I'll just sell it like this... and was heading out the door... I said how much? $300 bucks... Now for a Duster that looked great and just a few tiny spots of surface bumps/rust under the faded paint on the quarter I figured good deal. So I bought it... next day drove it to work and poped the hood to give it a look... well Gawl dang! A dual carb 340 [​IMG]!!!! Rebuilt the 2 carbs that weekend and leaned out the jet for some milage and was roll'n[​IMG] Later put on fat tires in the back and spray painted it in primer... Gave it to my lil bro that spring for his 18th b-day as his first car.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Does chrysler even make a dual carb manifold for a small block? Just courious.

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Not that I know of, but I'm not really a mopar guy. I know some of the racing 340's had six barrels(3 2bbl cars). This was an old time aftermarket intake w/ 2 holleys. The car was originally a 340-4 bbl according to the orig window sticker in the glove box (yeah... kinda cool) But it was pretty messed/ moded up. A big cam, headers, and just too much fuel gushing in the motor. I put in the smallest jets I could find and worked ok... eventually ripped it off and traded it for a near new edelbrock single set up off a 318. Also the original hood was gone and looked like the front had been hit, but overall was a hauler and looked decent... really had to look close under the hood to tell it had been hit. Once the "looks cool, but runs like crap" setup was gone it really moved... not sure about the rear, but man she roared going 70 on the freeway home w/ the 3 spd auto. Ahhh days gone by.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

9. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

My best deal was my 1983 Blazer. For 4 months or so... my Blazer now..sat at a used car lot .. way up in the back lot .. kinda looked like it was someone's truck that lived in an apartment complex that bordered the lot...
    For 4 months.. I drove by that lot frequently and the Blazer was always there.. never moved .
    I told Cheri I'm stopping in there to ask about it.. she said.. I don't think it's the lot's truck.. I said.. "you never know".. so I struck up conversation w/ this guy.. he told me yes it's for sale that it's not normally the "stock" he likes to carry.. but if I make him a reasonable offer... it's mine..
    I offered $1,800, he counter offered $2,200. I then offered $2,000... he said sold...
    He had it marked at 2,800 originally.. just cause he wanted to get rid of it..
    I felt real good about the deal... I love this truck.. I couldn't part with it ever...
    Now.. I have a deal in the works to buy another Blazer off this post for a good deal... 1972 Cst Blazer.. woooo hoooo...
    Can't wait... making room for her now...
    Thanks Mike.. !!! look forward to talking to you again... and seeing the pics of the truck. We'll give it a good home...

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com>http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com</A>

10. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

for 1200, I got a '79 blazer, 350/350 both newly rebuilt. Cosmetically rough, but straight. All she needed (beside goodies like a lift and such) was a carb, wires, plugs, headers, u-joints, and hubs. She had sat for 2 years and drove 3 1/2 ours home and stalled only twice. She's a good truck! Awsome!!!! I love her to death!!! I got her from K5Jimmy btw.

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

11. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

How about your worst deal? I used to have a 76 Plymouth Valiant Brougham when I was 15. It was my grandparents car and was the second to last Valiant ever made in America. It needed some work, but was cosmetically perfect. I needed a daily driver because I was about to get my license, so I traded it in. Got $400 for it. What a bum deal. If anyone sees a bugrandy Valiant Brougham in the Bethlehem, PA area, let me know!!!

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>
    My truck beat up your SUV

12. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I went to a car show in San Jose about 5 years ago,and scored a $180 Scat shifter for my VW Bus. It only cost me a trip to the snack bar to get the guy a hot dog.

<font color=blue> Yesterday was history,tomorrow is a mystery,and today is a gift. -Taproot- </font color=blue>

13. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

I'm fairly new here, I've been trying to read all the posts and am fairly overloaded with information, thanks guys!! [​IMG] I just got my 1976 K5 from my boss for $500. Its rusty and dented, but the drivetrain only has 20K on it. Recently rebuilt 350 w/rv cam and shift kit in the tranny, hits hard from first to second.....gonna have to u-joints soon...

Just collecting rusty mid-70's chevy's
    1976 Blazer, 1975 Vega SW

14. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Keep the stories comming. I know there has to be a lot more. How about the deals you passed on and now kick yourself in the a$$ for not getting them.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>

15. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

My best deal was an '87 Monte Carlo SS with t-tops and 80k miles. Only $1000 for it, but it did have some slight front end damage. Ran good and looked good for the most part. Sold it a year and a half later for $2200. Still kinda miss it. It was black like the old #3 car.

My worst deal was about every other vehicle I've owned. I've had some good ones, but always cost me too much.

[​IMG]

16. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Here is one I kick myself in the a$$ about. In 87 I bought a 68 R/T Charger with a 440, 4 speed, and 3:54 Dana 60 for $800. I got it from a friend that collected Mopars and it was a nice project. When I went to pick it up he made me an offer to buy another one as a package deal. It was another 68 R/T only it was a 426 Hemi with an automatic. It was complete but the only Hemi part that went with it was a block. I could have bought them both for $1600 but didn't. Looking back on it now all I can say is boy was I STUPID. Sold the 440 car about a year and a half later too. I miss that car.

17. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

The best deal that i missed out on was a 70' Nova. This happened before Xmas. My dumba$$ brother in law was looking for a car around this time and one night (in the dark) he was driving and saw a car for sell sitting in a yard close to his house.He stopped to look at it and saw that it was a Nova. It was locked and he couldnt see inside of it. The next day at work he told me about the "Nova" he stopped to look at last night. So, i was like, " what year was it man? What shape?". You know, all the usual questions. After discribing all of the different body styles of Novas' to him, we figured it was one of the late 70's square body Nova's. I said "forget it, i dont like that body style". Later that evening i get a call from him. (My head still hurts when i think about this). It was a 70' Nova 2 dr, That "gold" color that they used to use, white interior, 60,000 miles. MINT. It had been sitting in the "old ladys" garage since 75' . It was her sons car, and he was involved in an accident that left him paralized since 75' ( the accident was in another car). The old lady needed $1000 dollars to put a new roof on her house, so she "figured" she "might" be able to get the money from the car. Some one earlier put money down on it and later showed up with a roll back to pick it up. That was the closest(sp?) i have ever come to a "killer deal". I called my brother in law every name i could think of, and a few that i shouldnt have:) He has been working on cars since he was 13, and he couldnt even figure out it was a 70' Nova in the dark. GRRRRRRRRR.

You see, i restored a 71' Nova in highschool and right before i was going to get the paint put on it, i flipped it on its top on an unmarked turn road. I really have a soft spot for the 68' - 72' Nova. When i found out that i missed the 70' by just a few hours, my heart stopped beating for at least 10 min. heh j/k.Man, you had to bring this topic up didnt ya? I think im going to go over and kick him in his a$$ again. ( I work with him). GRRRRRRR. Later....:)

One From None

18. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

You still are...........stupid that is. Don't let him convince you otherwise. I know I'm a little off topic here but...I couldn't help myself. Just kidding. I have to pick on him once in a while otherwise he might think I forgot about him since we don't see much of each other right now.

[​IMG]<font color=purple>Wayne's Muddy Wife</font color=purple>[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>Donna</font color=purple>

19. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Since I can remember I wanted an old Nova or Chevelle. Well I noticed this Nova sitting down the street from my house for, I dont know maybe a month, and one day it had a for sale sign on it for about 2weeks I would just drive by it and wished I could afford something that nice. One day I was bored and went down to take a look at it for kicks. It looked sweet (at least to me), but didnt have a price on it, so I found the guy that was selling it and he told me that the tranny was about to go out and he had no interest in putting anymore money into it. I asked him the basics like what year, whats in it, blah.blah.blah. He said look kid if you got some money then buy the damn thing or go away. I said what do you want for it and he told me $1200 I almost $hit on myself. I said look it sounds like you want to get rid of it bad, I got $800 at my house if you'll take that I'll go get it. He said if its here when you get back its yours. Well made it back to him in like 3min or something like that which felt like a lifetime to me. Gave him the money, he gave me the keys and title and out to my new car I go. I fired that baby up and hauled ass to my house like I stole the darn thing.
    That baby was a 72NovaSS with a 400sb, Duel highrise manifold with duel 750 Holleys, th350, crager mags, traction bars and all the chrome you could handle. It was primmered, but it was done right. Had all the crome trim and embloms. Black vinyl interior, B&M Quick shifter. This baby was bad. I ended up taking it down to Thunder Valley and pulled low 12's in it. The tranny blew 2 years later. The only thing that I ever found wrong with it after I bought it was the wiring to the tail lights.
    Man I miss my Nova. If I wasnt such a moron I would still have it today.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

20. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am never lucky enough to get sweet deals although my firend is alwayspicking up sweet deals for $50!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

"He who uses a winch...... Is tired of yankin!"