Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What was your first 4x4?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Swanson52, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

And how did you butcher it (for some of us, anyhow)?

Mine was a 1977 K5 my mom bought new. I inherited it after I sold a 1968 Chevelle SS396 (and yes, I am sorry I did that), when I was 16. It was box-stock, and everything I knew about 4x4's at that time could fit into a thimble. My first 'modification' was a Rough Country 3" body lift and some 33" Sears Trailhandler APT's /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Of course, I butchered the dash to put in a stereo, filled the cargo area with poorly wired speakers, and left the top off constantly so the tub could rust (all the beer I spilled in there probably contributed to that, too). I eventually built it into something relatively cool, then stripped all my parts off of it and left the tub to rot in a field /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Still miss it.

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

My 84 K5 is my first,and most likely not the last! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

76 CJ5 w/ full size axles and 38.5 Gumbos. 6 cyl and a 3 speed. Still miss it at times. It was my dads and we had constant problems w/ the brakes. When I came close to rolling it one day in Tampa traffic avoiding some idiot it went in the shop and we swapped the axles and tossed on some 38s. I didnt have much of a problem w/ people pulling out in front of me anymore for some reason. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

While I was driving that one I had a Full Size Jeep Cherokee I was building. That one had 40s and a built 401. Still regret getting rid of that one too. But I got the Blazer and really havent looked back..... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

My first 4x4 was an 81 Chevy shortbed step side. It was awesome, two tone metallic grey with Tonka pin stripes (orange red yellow). It had a perfect interior. The paint was perfect. I waxed it after a few months and the paint dissintigrated /forums/images/icons/frown.gif . So after that I just left it alone. The roll bar fell out day while I was climbing a hill, everybody saw it and laffed so I just kept going! The worst thing I ever did to it was remove the 6 cylinder and replace it with a v-8. It never was the same. I still see it around town, I'd like to buy it back.

5. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

my first one was a 79 3/4 350/400/203 it was rusted and it burnt more oil than could be produced in a day. it had factory buckets and console and I also wish that I would have never gotten rid of it. If I would have kept it I would have a doubler my now /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

My first was a 1984 F-150 Longbed. A guy down the street was selling it. It had bald car tires on it front and rear, trashbags piled up in the bed, lots of rust (former snow plow) and a non-running 300 I6. We drug it home. Another guy down the road was selling a wrecked F-150 with a 302 HO out of a Mustang in it. We bought that truck and swapped the 302 into mine. My truck had a 4 speed manual tranny. I found some 31" Goodyear Wrangler AT's at a fleamarket for 5 bucks each that I bought and put on new wheels. Put in a CD player and some 6x9 inch speakers behind the seat, put a tailgate net on it since the tailgate was beyond rusted. I decided to sell it after I blew a brake line on the way home from school one day. When we were looking for something my aunt said she was getting rid of her Blazer so I got it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My '72 K/5 was my first vehicle. I saved up all my money for a few years, searched around for exactly what i wanted, and bought my 72 when i was 16. I've had it for almost 4 years. Probally won't ever get rid of it... I've kept it running by myself for the last 4 years. although i'm gonna have to start looking for doors and fenders if i want to keep it forever.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

1971 Ford Pinto.

9. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

74 jimmy. it had 4" suspenesion lift and 3" body. it had cut out flares and 38.5 SXs. the thing i most regret about selling it was cause i want the 400 sb that was in it and the 14 bolt that i could put in my blazer. the motor in the thing was awsome. i used to go out to the street drags with it and woop on everyone. the only thing that i was beat by was a 944 turbo, 67 & 68 chev pickups, and a 71 nova. everyone would laugh when i rolled up for the first time. but when i got on it they all shut up. the car i most regret selling was a 71 nova that i picked up for $400. it had a 250, straight body, no cancer, and a decent interior.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My first 4X4 was a 72 K5 Blazer with a 454 4bbl, 4 speed stick, don't know what T-case, betting it was a NP-205, 14 Bolt FF, Dana 60, (4:56 gears) and 38" Superswampers TSL Boggers. Miss that truck alot, wish I still had it.

11. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

My first off-road vehicle was a 73 datsun p/u. My first 4x4 was an 80 toyota with a 4" lift, QR78(36") buckshot mudders (good tires), extended vent lines and hammered and cut front fenders/wheelwells. It had plastic bucket seats because I couldn't dry out the bench and I stripped the floor so I could wash out with a hose. That was back in 87-90. Tall show trucks were the rage back then so I took some heat over my ugly truck with its solid axle, while all the mags were talking about how great IFS was.

12. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

1948 Heep CJ2a, Bone stock, still got it, runs great and gives little trouble.

13. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

1988 M1038 MRC-110 HMMWV /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

'91 Toyota 4x4...stock except for 30" TSL/SX. Loved that truck...

15. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

my first crapper was a 88' ford bronco 2,and it was real nice,perfect paint,interior,2.9 motor ran good but it was slow.then came the world of 4 wheeling,mud,water,hills ahhh,so much fun.so to make a long story short,i flipped it in traffic making a quick turn,cut the top of,threw on some 235/75/r15 all-terrians,put on a snorkel,and some off-road lights.I thought I was badass!lol!!!tranny went out and I sold it for $100,man I hated that thing /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

16. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

1980 cj7 6cy 4sp 33"rubber hardtop

17. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

my current 1985 k5 that i have. gonna own some more by time i croak which will be in a loooooooooooooooooooong time i hope. lol. later.

jacob

18. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

a 1989 GMC 3/4ton 4x4 suburban. i love that truck! it has a stock 350 TBI, TH400, NP241, 8-lug 10bolt front end, 8-lug 14bolt SF rear end, 4" suspension lift, 1" hill 4wd shackles, 2" body lift, 8" skyjacker SS brake lines, and 36x12.50-16.5 superswamper TSLs. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

19. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I bought this 61 willy's with a 302 for only $500.00. I spent $18.00 for a carb rebuild kit. And $300.00 for some tires and $80.00 for a cheap stereo. And ran it around are property for about a year.. It ran great but we had our second child and no room for the kids.. So I sold it for $2800.00. Made a good little profit on that one...LOL

[​IMG]

20. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

My first 4X4 was a 1990 Subaru Justy. Had a 3 cyl engine, 5speed transmission, and something wrong that made the 4wd non-functioning /forums/images/icons/smile.gif