Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What water pump to buy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by driney, Jul 20, 2005.

1. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I need to replace my water pump. Usually I go to Autozone and buy their lifetime warranty parts, and let them replace them for me when they go bad. We have a new O'Reilly's so I have other options. I don't think Autozone parts last as long as OEM parts do but a new AC Delco water pump is $110.00 with a 1 year warranty vs a new Duralast or a Master Parts Division with a Lifetime warranty for 30.00 or less. Is the AC Delco even as good as what came on our trucks originally? I had an opportunity to compare an AC Delco starter to an Autozone lifetime warranty starter an the AC Delco was beefier by far. Could there be that much difference in water pumps also? Dependability is really important to me because although this doesn't have to be my daily driver, our annual trip to Oklahoma is on a pretty tight schedule and I don't want to break down.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Water pumps are one item I haven't seen a difference in with regards to durability. Then again, you'd have to ask people that routinely put 100K on a motor AFTER changing the pump. I've never had the parts store "cheapies" fail me.

My friend who has a quick El Camino has pulled the shaft out of the pump (probably from the flex fan) but that is a lot of load at high RPM that most don't run at.

Now, when talking about pump PERFORMANCE, there is a lot to be said.

I haven't checked out Stewarts prices lately, but IIRC, their "low end" pump wasn't THAT expensive.

GMB used to make good pumps too. I wish you could pull the rear cover off of the pumps before you buy them so you could compare. Impeller design has everything to do with how efficient the pumps are.

3. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

110$ is high depending on application i just paid 67 for one (std rotation for 84 sbc w/tow package) but i get a discount i think retail is like 75 or so which was only $7-8 more than autozone...
    buy delco and dont worry bout it again...
    find a delco store theyre always cheaper

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I bought a heavy duty hi flow hi-per AMERICAN made name brand pump at the zone for 40.00... lifetime warranty
    89 v3500 BB std rotation

Same pump from my favorite parts man with the good guy deal ...110.00

sooooo sometimes the zone has it if you know what to look for

cam

5. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i bought a hi flow, name brand from kragen, and its worked like a champ for the past year and half its been on my k5..
    i paid something like 80 bucks for mine.----becasue its shine-e!!! ooooh purdy..lol

personally i prefer to get the hi-flow vs. the standard..but thats just my preference

6. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I just realized I have an old autozone waterpump that I may open up and compare to my original.