Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Welder do you like

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Taz, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Taz

Taz Registered Member

It is my turn to use the tax return on anything I want. I want to buy a wire welder, I am looking at two models. The Millermatic 210 (60% duty cycle) and the Licoln 200 (60% duty cycle). I will be using this for body work and frame work. Which brand name do you like and why? the price is the same ($1150) the only difference I see is the miller has 10 more amps.

Thanks

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I have used all types of welders (Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, T-Dyne) but I LOVE Lincoln equipment...I say go with the Lincoln...I have a Lincoln SP-135P setup and LOVE it...perfect for body work, which is what I bought it for mainly...

Chris

3. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

I have always had good luck with miller welders. that's what I use all day at work and have almost zero problems with them (2 syncrowave 350 tig welders and a millermatic vintage mig welder ( 310 amps ) ). as for the lincolns I've worked with.... y dad has a lincoln weld n power and that thing has done nothing but work work work and more work. it has never let him down. we have a 300 lincoln tig welder at woprk and have had nothing but problems with it since it was bought new. I have also never had any luck with the lincoln mig welders either. both are top quality industirial strength machines and both can be made to do the job and do it very well. I just have a preference for miller stuff.

-Scott

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Either one is a good choice, we have a lincoln generator type welder and it is as old as the hils and has never broken evr. Same goes for our Lincoln mig and diesel generator. Our Miller gas powered welder is also a good unit. either way youll have a good machine capable of handleing most anything an offroader will throw at it.

5. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I've got the Lincoln 175+ and it's great. Does really well with the thin stuff and still has enough power to weld 1/4inch. It's only 20% duty cycle and I've never had a problem with it.

Mike

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

do they still have the spool gun promo on the 210?
    I went 250 as everyone always says buy the biggest you can possibly afford

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I stick with Millers. I have used both and have a Miller at home.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Either machine will do you good. If I had a choice I would give the nod to the Lincoln, but I've always had good experiences using Lincoln. They seem to start hotter than the Miller...

I've never had major problems with either brand though.

Rene

9. Taz

Taz Registered Member

you can get the spool gun with either machine, but it is an extra $300. I dont think I will weld Alumimun very muh so I probably wont be buying it.
    thank you for all the info
    Romie

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I can vouch for the Lincoln starting hotter. I own a new Lincoln 200....Use Miller Vintages and 250's at work. I like the Lincoln waaaaay better. Arc starts alot smoother. Much smoother arc. The Millers are nice but the arc is a bit "rougher" and doesn't seem as stable. You'd be fine with either machine though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

MJ- Miller isn't doing the spool gun promo anylonger....I missed it by a month or so when I got my Lincoln. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

Like was said, you'll be happy with either machine. What I look at more than the machine is the dealer and his services. But above all else, get the 98/2 argon tank so you have the possiblity of welding aluminum later if desired. You don't need a spool gun for aluminum. the 98/2 is a better shielding gas for steel anyways. See which dealer will throw in an electronic/automatic helmet /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

oh to bad, it was sooo tempting when I was standing there to go with that deal.

13. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

if you are going to do any kind of aluminum welding that is going to have any stress put on it you don't want a spool gun anyways. you are going to want to tig weld it. I weld aluminum all day long at work, we use nothing but tig. we have had many companys try to do promo's of mig welders and it's nothing that you want to trust, lets put it that way. with tig welding you can actually see your puddle and control the keyhole/penetration. with mig welding it's pretty much you get what you get when you set your feed/heat. anyways, just thought I would throw that in there.

-Scott

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    it's nothing that you want to trust, lets put it that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends entirely on what you are building. There are millions of gravel boxes out there welded with MIG aluminum for example. I'd love to see someone TIG weld one /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif You'd be there for a month!

There are jobs that are more suited to TIG and there are jobs more suited to MIG. Both shine in there intended element...

TIG is best for fine work, thin material, and extreme weld purity. MIG is best on the thicker stuff, especially if there is a lot of it. We recently had a guy at our work tested and certified for some defense work on Aluminum MIG. Minimum material thickness was 1" plate. The prep was downright anal, but the MIG got the job done.

Rene

15. Why me?

Why me? Registered Member

I used to be a welder repair tech and had many Lincoln and Millers apart. Ether way you will do good. Just get the BEST machine that you can afford!