Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What welder? ---NEED HELP QUICK---

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Jul 19, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I am going to buy a welder TODAY. What kind of things should I look for? I know I want a mig. Whats this I hear about ones having gasses that look up to it, what do they do? Can you weld w/o the gas? Lowes has a Lincoln 100 I am looking at for $330, what do you guys think? Lowes also has some brand that is in a blue box, Campbell something. they have a 70 amp for $205, and another one for $315, I don't think that brand is very good, I think I will be better off paying more for the Lincoln. I am also going to go to Northern Tool and see what they have. Any input will help. Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

A mig welder uses a gas...i think the M in mig is magnesium and in a tig welder its tungston gas? I think the whole purpose of having a gas there is to help in the cooling process of the welds. I could be wrong but thats what I understand...check out
    http://www.plowsite.com
    for a welding forum they could answer your questions better

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Dude,
    Your quote: "I know I want a mig"
    That is welding with gas. MIG is wire fed welding with gas, usually Argon/CO2 mix.
    I paid $500 for mine. Great welder, it welds up to 1/4" thick.

Welding without the gas is called FluxCored welding....when you get a MIG, you want one with both options. I think mine is 150amps if I recall correctly.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You can weld without the gas, but the option of having it is very nice. The gas keeps the welding slag from getting alll over the place. It makes for a cleaner, more professional looking weld.

JH

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '83 Chevy P/U 4x4 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD w/8.1L & Allison Auto

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

The Lincoln 100 is a good unit.Ive got one and its good for light to med stuff.And get one you can run gas with.If you run flux core wire you have to chip off slag .C02 is good but 75/25 argon c02 makes a better weld.A big part of making these 110v mig welders work well is technique so practice a bit .Also you should plug it in to an outlet on a circut that doesnt have anything running on it and try not to run it off an extention cord.The more power you have going to the it better your welds will be.

"I AM THE HILIFT KING"<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Another key thing to making these 110V welders work is metal preperation. Clean what you are going to weld with a grinder or some sort. Get the metal all shiny looking. Bevel your edges. And on the really thick stuff, use a oxy-acety torch to heat up the metal till it's sweating (red) and then lay a bead on their with the MIG..... You'll be very impressed with your welds :)
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

FYI MIG= metal inert gas. TIG =Tungeston inert gas.
    For all around use I would get a MIG welder of at least 100 amps. the Lincoln is a good welder. i use them and Millers at work. At home I have a Clarke MIG. I think I payed under 200 for it 5 years ago and it still works good.
    Those 110 v welders arn't good for welding anything thicker than 1/4 inch. So if you are going to do a lot of heavy welding you will need to go up to a 220v. You dont have to use gas with a MIG. But they weld better and cleaner with a CO2 Argon mix. Also the gas helps when welding thicker metals. You can also weld alumininum with a MIG If you use the aluminium wire and gas.

<font color=orange> You are just jealous, because the voices only talk to me.</font color=orange>

8. Medman74K5

Medman74K5 Registered Member

Check Harbor Freight Tools they have some good deals on welders.

9. chevyboy24598

chevyboy24598 1/2 ton status

I would get a Miller!

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got the Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 and it works pretty good. But since I bought mine several years ago they've come out with the Weld-Pak 125 that is capable of welding thicker materials. I'd go for that one if I were buying today. The cool thing about the 110V welders is that they're portable and you can plug them in and use them at anyone's house. The kit to convert the Weld-Pak to use gas instead of the flux-core wire costs about $75. Of course, it becomes less portable once you have to lug around the tank as well... [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

11. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Millers are big$$$.I have a 130 amp one here at work and I think it was around $1500.It kicks ass but I only paid $100 for my used Lincoln 100 .

"I AM THE HILIFT KING"<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

12. StageZ

StageZ Registered Member

just remember... you can allway use more amps... when you buy a welder... make sure you don't somthing cheap just to do the job... there will allways be bigger things to weld... rather save a few more bucks and buy one that will do the job and some then buy one that aint gonna cut it for something else....

13. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

I have a Miller and it's a great unit. They are pricey though. Lincoln's are also good.

Chad

14. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If your going to get a bigger amp one(ie 220 etc) make sure you have a place to plug it in or requirements to run a dedicated line for a welder. I would love to have a big amp welder but I don't have a garage or access to 220v(except behind the dryer[​IMG]) so I'm going to have to settle for a 110v and make do with it

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>Click here to see my K5</a>
    *<font color=red>under construction</font color=red>*

15. tyler t.

tyler t. 1/2 ton status

Ok. MIG welding is Metal Inert Gas welding as previously stated. It is a mixture of Argon and CO2 gases as previously stated. If you purchase a Mig welder though it can always be turned into a flux core process welder by disconecting the gas and adding a flux core wire. Flux core just means that instead of a shielding gas being kept in a cylinder it gets incorporated into the center of the welding wire. I would go with nothing less than a 125 amp welder though, otherwise you are going to have to bevel the edges of almost everything you weld to get enough penetration to hold well. The shielding gas is there simply to blow away oxygen and other gases that contaminate the weld pool (molten metal at the point you are welding), you have seen rust right well that is oxidation which is exaclty what forms when you weld with a MIG welder and no shielding gas. As far as brand names, I would definitely go with Miller or Lincoln the other brands are not real reliable when it comes down to it. There a couple of different places to check for prices. I would go to your local welding store just to get an idea and kinda scope out the machines you like and ask lots of questions. I have a Lincoln sp-125 the Miller was about $50 more expensive and they are exactly the same if you look at the specs. I use it for anything 1/8" or thinner and a stick welder for the thicker stuff. I would not really suggest trying to weld 1/4" plate with a 125amp MIG welder though, it takes practice (beveling edges and doing multi-pass welding) and even then you can never be sure that there is enough penetration into the joints. There is a place here on the internet that has quite a bit of info called Weld Plus Welding Machinery and fairly reasonable prices check them out. If you need any more info just drop me a line. Good luck!

J:(P it's what's for dinner!

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I got a SP-125 also. I have no qualms about using it on 1/4 inch.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

17. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I've got the Lincoln Weld-pak 100 and have no problems using it on 1/4". Just gotta do the proper preperation. I also have a 225amp Lincoln ARC for the big stuff.

Crawlin the rocks with my K5
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockreadyk5.com>http://www.rockreadyk5.com</a>

18. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Lincon Weld pak 100/125 are great for anything 1/4 " . I have even done 3/8 with multiple passes. The other big thing I like about mine is that I have ran it off a generator before. I have been toying with the idea of mounting a generator in my truck and being able to run the welder and whatever else out on the trail.

You call that dirty!?