Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what welder to buy?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ross, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Ross

Ross Registered Member

I want to buy a mig welder for welding stuff for my truck ie. roll bar and other small projects ie. tube frame go-cart. I have a stick arc welder now and it is to hard to use and burns through thin metal. I want to keep the price under $300. I would like the welder to be both gas and non-gas but I really do not know what to get. Thanks for any help and input.

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

your price point kills anything I would get
    though you already have the arc for thick stuff
    Century had some good deals
    other then them looks like you are in the Home depot Lincoln category

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

There are a couple of LONG threads on this subject. Do a search on welders or welding and you will be enlightened.

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Unless you find a used one, you are going to have to up the cost. I would say in the $500 to $600 range.

5. Ross

Ross Registered Member

ok thanks

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I have a Lincoln mig, I think it is the smallest one they make. I believe it is a model 100. I bought it at Home Depot or Lowes for 299.00. I runs off of 110 volts, I am not sure if you can hook up gas to it, but to be as small as it is it can weld really good. In my opinion it is perfect for smaller stuff like you described.

7. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt get n e thing besides a lincoln. ask any professional welder what he uses, and im sure he'll say lincoln. U can find refurbished ones for pretty cheap.

NITRO

8. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Ross:

I went to Lowes and bought a wire-feed welder by Campbell-Housfeld. It was under $300. It may be a bottom of the line, but it welds great and I have used an entire small reel without over-extending the duty cycle. It says you can weld 3/16 steel, but I believe that if you grind and make multiple passes, you can go thicker. I'm a rookie at welding, but I'm happy with my cheap welding rig.

Good luck.

9. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

I got this link here in a discussion about mig vs. tig - maybe it will be of interest to you.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p001633.htm>http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p001633.htm</a>

10. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Actually I believe Miller is the welder of choice for pro's. Not that Lincoln isn't good, it is top notch. It's just that I have asked pro welders, and that is what they prefer. Next time you see a utility truck or trailer rolling down the road take a look at the welder bolted to it, you will see it is a Miller. Just my 2 cents.

Mike.

11. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The gas canister is a killer. I bought an 80 cu ft tank (middle sized) filled with argon blend and it was $190.

12. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Welders welders welders....haha, Man do I know welders. ha! I work for a company here in Grass Valley CA, called Best Trailer. We make trailers obviously. haha! Anyways, I guess you could call me a "professional" welder/fabricator. Been to a tech school ect ect...At work all we have is Miller's. I think we have 15 or 20 of'em. Miller 250's &amp; 250X's. These are in the $1500 range I believe, Alittle out of your price range I believe, Mine too! I would'nt buy ANYTHING but a Miller or a Lincoln. I have the smaller Lincoln SP125 in my garage. Runs on 110 and you can use solid wire, (with shielding gas) or Flux cored wire. With special gases and different wire you can also weld stainless steel and aluminum. I believe I payed somewhere around $600-700 for it. GREAT little machine. I'd reccomend it to anyone. Hope that helps. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The little 110v ones as a side to a stick welder is not to bad. Problem is Duty cycle is short and they draw about 10-15 amps and are supose to be on a dedicated service. That said, as long as you find a circuit where you can plug into that will not have people turning on other stuff it will work. Most of those are upgradable from Flux core to mig but it's close to $100 for the regulator kit so if you want true mig figure $400-450 range. I personaly prefer a 220 unit. BIGGEST reason is the duty cycle and not going to risk poping breakers. Sounds like you already got 220v in your shop so your there.
    I'm using a Hobart Handler 175. http://www.cyberweld.com/hobhan175.html it comes with a regulator so your set from the word go. it will run either flux or mig. I can lay a 1/2 inch wide bead on 3/16 NO problem. I had been running a barrowed stick but had to give it back /forums/images/icons/smile.gif So I was interested in something that would handle anything I need. Still want to pick up a garage sale AC225.
    Hobart is owned by Miller and it's pretty close to the Miller 175. The miller is a pro machine and the Hobart is more of a home hobiest welder. Few thing cheaper about it. The drive is not as heavy duty. The Miller has a variable heat range. However if I ever do have a problem out of the drive the miller 175 drive bolts right up. It has has the same warranty as Miller. Any miller dealer can repair it.
    Now a word on tanks. GET AS BIG AS YOU CAN. Gas goes quick. The 20# tanks are only good for an afternoon. Most places will not let non comercial accts get the big tanks. You can only get 60-80#. That should get you through a weekend. It's also cheaper in the long run. Pye Barker sells you a 80# for $150 filled. refills are then $23. A refill on a 20# is $17.99. Over the long haul it will save you. You can also sell the tank back if in a couple years your not going to need it.

14. Ross

Ross Registered Member

thanks for all the help everyone i really appreciate it. and i just talked my dad into paying for half of it.

15. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

like grim said teh duty cycle is less on a 110, and what that means is the actual amount of burn time available non stop. also the hobart is a good machine. i just bnought a lincoln 135 plus a few months ago, and tried to get the hobart 125, cause it was cheaper. but all 3 of the local suppliers were out out, and i had to have it for a job (i'm a contractor), so i bought what they had. now i am glad i went a little more exspensive. 2 major differences are the wire feed speed adjustment and the amp range. on the cheaper unit you have a selector knob within a given range like 20-30 amps and 2-4 feet per minute wire speed, and on the more exspensive units the ranges are completely adjustable. i also wanted a 110 unit so i could have the portability. mine came gas ready and was like $475 (contractor price) and i just bought flux core wire and figured when i need gas i would get the bottle later. also welding outside in the wind is real hard with gas.
    chris