Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Welder would be best?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84mudmachine, Feb 4, 2005.

1. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

I want to get a nice welder with my tax return, but I don't know what I really need. I want to be able to due body work and also would like to build a nice heavy duty bumper out of 1/4 tube steal. What are your opinions? P.S. I would like to keep it under $500.:dunno:

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

you'll be hard pressed to get a welder that does everything from sheetmetal to 1/4 inch steel reliably for under 500 bucks....

You might check out lincolns sp175... its a compact 220v wire fed machine... I think you would be unhappy with the 110v 135... they are not strong enough

You also might consider the used route... but even getting a regulator and bottle will cost 200 bills

Most basic new 220v welders are in the 1200 dollar range

Run a ebay search for welders... youll see what they cost

cam

3. 84mudmachine

I thought it might be hard to find something that would do that range of thinkness.

4. 84mudmachine

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thats a nice welder. makes me reconsider getting a 135

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Miller 135. True Blue baby, True Blue. I use a Miller 135 and I really like it. It is a damn nice welder. It is probably at the max, or maybe a little more then you want to pay but get the best stuff you can. Good tools will last a long time and make jobs easier.

Harley

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

yes... that is the baby inexpensive lincoln....

Its not a full size commercial machine but it wil do everything you ask,,, is very easy to use.. comes with a regulator.. so the only additional expense is a bottle... (I suggest buying one and not renting one) dont scrimp and get as good an electronic helmet as you can afford (150-200)... and some good gloves (which are cheap 5-12 bucks)

again... ask around for those people here that fabricate and they will all tell you the 135 WILL not do what you ask... having a weld that might look ok but doesnt penetrate is like having a condom with a hole in it....

cam

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have the sister to this one. its a hobart and its a 140 model. some parts are miller out of the box. this thing is 110 20a and just welds the hell out of any thing. if doing small stuff get smaller wire. thats all. and GET A GAS welder, best option you can buy . i also have a miller auto shade helmet best money i spent on that unit . saves so much time.