Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What were they for?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, Dec 26, 2005.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I've seen the CUCV's and the M1008's but what were they used for?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Umm, the M1008 IS a CUCV. Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle, IIRC.

The CUCV family started in the early 80's with the Dodge M880's and other variants.

The Chevy versions are the

M1009 (Blazer, radio and personnel mover)
    M1008 (general pickemup)
    M1010 (pickemup with ambulance body)
    M1028 (big pickemup, shelter carrier, etc)
    M1031 (cab-n-chassis pickemup for utility bodies, etc)

That answer the question?

-- A

3. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Ok I think I understand now. CUCV denotes all millitary personel vehicles.
    So did the m1008/1009's ever see combat or were the all stateside? Do they still use any of em or is it all the Hmmvee

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Before the HMMWV all we had were 1/4 ton jeeps, M35 2 1/2 tons, and an assortment of M37 weapons carriers and M 715 1 1/4 ton trucks both of which used very under powered I-6 engines, the CUCV's were just really just support vehicles to move people and small cargo over most terrain without having to utilize a tactical vehicle.

There are still a few CUCV's running around but they were never a direct combat vehicle, but our mechanics took a couple down range with utility beds on them to carry tools, parts, etc. Some engineer units I've seen use them still to carry tools, equip, demo, and such but unce again they are just support vehicles. The CUCV's are not at all suited to being used in a combat situation
    If you have ever had to drive a HMMWV on a german autobahn you would pay its weight in gold for a CUCV truck.

5. dremu

HMMWV was intended to replace the various CUCV's, the Gama Goat and of course the venerable 1/4 ton "jeep" (M151, I think was the last one in service?)

I see CUCV's still with reserve units, but even there in small numbers; I would anticipate that as HMMWV's make their way into the reserve units the CUCV's will increasingly be sold off. (That's where mine came from, via the a police department.)

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

yeah... and pisspoorplaning... led us into a great era of the CH-53 series being designed to cary two jeeps inside... guess what came out at the same time as the CH-53.... can you say hummer?!? needless to say they now have to externaly lift hummers due to the fact they are... TOO WIDE to fit in a CH-53...

Grant
    oh, a CH-53E, the current model with the last of the D's being phased out is a 7 bladed 3 engined helo that can lift a LOT! its own weight basicaly.

7. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

What is the designation for the IFS versions? I see marines with them here at the shipyard.

8. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

Cucv

In the mid 80's the CUCV were used as tactical vehicles, and assigned to front line positions. This was before the Hummers were around. I usually drove a Gamma Goat which really sucked, 3 cylinder diesel moving 10,000 pounds just doesn't work well.

9. dremu

IFS Chevies, or the HMMWV's? The HMMWV's are IFS *and* IRS ... the CUCV's were all 4WD, AFAIK. The services also bought generic trucks (different VIN's, 12V, not always diesel) which could have been what you saw.

-- A

10. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

The CUCVs were an interim vehicle fielded to replace the aging fleet of M151 (jeep), M715 (Gladiator), M880 (Dodge PU), and Gamma Goats. The HMMWV contract had been awarded (1984?) but the Army knew it couldn't fill the need as expediently as it needed, the the CUCV family filled in. Yes they're still in use, but have been religated from front line tactical use (you won't see many wander the roads of Iraq - although we brought one M1031 Contact Truck north :whistle: ). But they were a damn good truck for the money, and served us well.

The Army didn't buy any (TMK) but the CUCV II lives on http://army.ca/cgi-bin/album.pl? photo=Vehicles/Canadian/Chevrolet_Silverado..jpg

I know the Air Force had some (gas engine Blazer) CUCV IIs a few years ago (probably had AC too :rolleyes: ). The USAF traded in there M1028s for Dodge Cummins Dually's.

11. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

1 ton 4wd chevy trucks, IFS upfront. seen another yesterday, had a one piece front bumper/grill guard and a nice step bumper. Seen several like this. In the Navy yard I believe these guys are part of homeland security.

12. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Those newer IFS Chevy's are also designated M1008 or 1009 (whichever the pick-up truck is).