Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What were you doing when you broke an axle (no rock crawlers)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jul 29, 2001.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I said no rockcrawlers because I know what you guys do--you're always in low range and you bounce really hard and beat your trucks up way worse than the sand or mud folks.

So, what were you doing when your axle, front or rear, broke? I have never broken as much as an axle u-joint, but I've broken driveshaft u-joints. That's about it.

I shreaded my 10 bolt because the pinion nut came loose, and my 12 bolt because I put the 10 bolt pinion yoke on it when the 12 bolt yoke broke because I knew I was getting the 3/4 ton axles and I needed something to haul them home.

So, what were you doing when you broke an axle? How big are your tires?

I'm a nutcase and I've got 35s on my front (open) 10 bolt and I have beat the #$@# out of it, but I guess my BFGs don't get enough traction to break stuff.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

2. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I've shredded at least 8 sets of rear u joints, 3 driveshafts and grenaded 2 10 bolts not to mention the front shaft once all in the space of a year but have never actually had an axle let go. I must be doing something wrong.
    Shawnboy.

If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My friends with small blocks run 38s and 44s, and my buddy witha big block runs 39.5 Boggers and yet only the one with the big block has ever broken an axleshaft.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

I have broke the u-joint on my Dana 44 several times and about half of the time, I take out and axelshaft with it. Broke one on a hill climb, one in 3ft of mud, one it 3ft of snow, and anothe one in a really deep hole.

73 3/4 ton Chevy. 383 stroker, TH350, NP 205, 14bolt FF(Detroit), Dana 44(limited Slip), 6in. lift, 36x 14.5 super swampers

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

are you running lockers or limited slip???

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I creamed an axleshaft in a Dana 60 pulling away from a stop light - unloaded, not hot dogging and running 33's on a 77 F-250. OK, it was a fluke, but interesting anyhow!

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I creamed an axleshaft in a Dana 60 pulling away from a stop light - unloaded, not hot dogging and running 33's on a 77 F-250. OK, it was a fluke, but interesting anyhow!

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

8. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

blew my 10 bolt heading up a steep trail in San Bernardino. It was fun.

9. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

I blew a u-joint in my rear driveshaft in my garage.(DON'T ASK)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I've blown a front 44 and a rear 12 bolt without even leaving the pavement. The spidergear shaft in the 44 des\cided it didn't like being bolted in place so it removed itself at speed, it even cracked the diff housing! The 12 bolt took a dump on me while making a left turn at an intersection. It turned out the side gear had cracked, seperating most of the spline area from the gear teeth, the little spline area the was still in contact with the gear stripped out shortly thereafter.

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA

11. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

Broke front axle on a dana 60 driving the wall on a bog race.
    Broke a front axle going for a really deep mud hole wheeling.
    Broke a couple rear axles on a dana 60 wheeling. Just going for the big stuff.
    Broke one rear axle doing a really stupid move., Playing a push war with another big block.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </a>

12. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I broke my first rear 10-bolt backing out of my garage, it did have 135,000 miles at the time though. Ring &amp; Pinion were missing almost all of the teeth.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

13. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I never broke either while I was open. Lock it up and you will start breaking them.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I broke a U-joint after a couple hours stuck in mud in my old Blazer. Broke one in my old Mopar after smoking the tires in a 7-11 parking lot (that was after the chains were installed to keep the motor near the frame...). Other than that, just basic wear-outs.
    Never roasted an axle or rear, though. I did see one in a Jeep that ejected the hub in a crash.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**

15. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What do you mean by this: "and my 12 bolt because I put the 10 bolt pinion yoke on it when the 12 bolt yoke broke "
    You broke your 12 bolt because you put a 10 bolt yoke on it? Or am I reading it wrong?

I broke a D44 front u-joint climbing a hill once and in turn, broke the stub shaft and inner shaft... Also I broke a rear 10 bolt axle when I almost rolled forward when the left front of my Jimmy fell in a huge hole and I slid forward and mashed the gas. The rear came down while I had it floored and snapped an axle. However, the Gov-lok that was in that axle survived!

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

16. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Busted a 10 bolt joint and wadded both shafts in about 8-10" of snow one time, but they were a totally beat set of axles from an old plow truck.
    Never broken a driveshaft part, never broken a rear axle part, and the only front axle parts have been bouncing on slickrock. Never busted anything in slowgoing low gear rock crawling.
    Have a buddy that busted a 30 spl stub in his D60 doing front wheel burnouts in his shop. With 44" TSL's. oops.
    I've found it pretty easy to break D60 joints if you're turning hard, have a little traction, and accidently leave the front line lock on.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I grenaded the 12 bolt my Jimmy came with pulling out of a parking space...I was trying to take it for a test drive and never got it off the lot. I'm pretty sure it endured a lot of abuse before I got to it. Being completely unfamiliar with the truck I didn't realize what was wrong till I looked underneath and saw a big hole in the cover and bits of shiny steel and gear oil on the ground under it. Whatever blew went through the cover.
    Other than that I've had good luck...I've only worn out a few axle U-joints, but no catastrophic failures.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

18. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Rene, You blew the rear BEFORE you even bought it!! Am I reading that right?? If so I think you should get an award of some kind.

I have only slaughtered 1 axle to date, It was a D44 in the rear of my F/S Cherokee. It was a trooper tho, it put up w/ alot of abuse. What finally did it in was I took it off the road for about 5 yrs or so and forgot I had a pinion leak when I sidelined it. About a yr after I took it out of storage I was coming home from my sons baseball practice when it started raising cain. At that moment I remembered the pinion seal. TOO LATE!! I put in a D44 from a parts J10 I had and it squared up the Jeep so I was happy w/ that. I never had a prob. w/ that axle at all. I sold the truck to a friend that grenaded the spiders in 2 months. Still havent figured out what he did. He took Mr. Arc Welder to it and had no more problems.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!![​IMG]

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yup, I killed a 12 bolt on the test drive...[​IMG][​IMG]
    Then i had to wait while they had it rebuilt before i could actually go down and buy it and take it home. The worst part is they spent over $700 fixing an open 12 bolt with 2.73's....[​IMG][​IMG].

Thats what made me decide on a 14 bolt almost immediately...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

20. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I broke my front axle u-joints bouncing on rocks last summer and I broke a rear u-joint on the highway one day. I also broke a rear driveshaft on someone else's truck. The slip yoke was worn so we tried welding the caps in and the yoke broke so I ran over the shaft.</font color=blue>