Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Width Rims Should I Run?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Feb 24, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright, here's my problem: I was gonna buy a set of 18x39.5x16.5 Boggers, had it all planned out...then the $h!t hit the fan...a guy in my club who never shows up to the meetings comes one night and through sheer coincidence we start talking about the rig I'm building. He mentions that he has an almost new set of those tires only sized for 15" rims sitting in his parent's machine shed for a killer deal. I go and have a look the next day, and sure enough, they're almost brand new, a few small chunks missing where one of them got into the fender but otherwise perfect. I give him all the cash in my wallet ($100) and take one of the tires so neither of us can back out of the deal. I get home to order a set of rims and find that even 15x12 white spoke steel rims will run me around $400 for a set of four (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I can't find prices for anything else because nobody makes them in black (I know everybody makes them in black but nobody makes them in 8 lug AND black), and chrome just isn't right on a trail truck. Now, if you've survived my big dumb story, is it possible to run a 10" wide rim with a 18" wide Bogger? I measured the bogger and without a rim it's not even close to 18" wide, more like 15", but I don't know what I should do. Most of you are gonna tell me to quit whining and shell out the money but $100 a rim is way too much for a friggin steelie. Besides, the whole point of buying this set of Boggers was to save money, not go blow it on wheels. Please, somebody help me out here or tell me to shut up, pay the outrageous price, and get my money's worth on the trail.

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I have my 39.5's mounted on hummer rims (8.25")....

You will be fine....

In fact, We just mounted a set of 39.5's on 10" rims last week for a customer.

Rob

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have my 39.5 Boggers mounted on weld outback rims that are 14" wide.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My previous 39.5 x 15 x15 TSL's were on 15x8's...the new set are on 15x10's. I'd run those boggers on 15x10's and stop worrying.

Rene

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, 15x10 will be fine. If people can run 44s on a 8" rim, you'll be a-ok.

j

6. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yep I ran my 40" gumbo mudders on 10's just make sure you only air them up to the point that they set nice and flat on the ground.:D

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They do make them in 8 lug and black, you sent me a PM and I quoted you for them. They're not any cheaper than the white ones, but they ARE black.

8. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i got my 15x10 8 lug Chrome rims for 48 bucks apiece... and even though they are chrome, they seem to work fine on my trail rig.. :surepal:

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I know it sounds a little obvious, but what about following the manufacturers recommendations???

http://www.intercotire.com/html/tsl___bogger.htm

They are calling out for a 15 x 12" wheel....just to break the suspense!

If you got such a killer deal on the tires, maybe you shouldn't be so bummed about the wheel costs....? ;)

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Chrome really isn't desirable in my opinion. Wheels slip off the bead much easier on chrome than they do paint.

11. mikey_d05

Yeah, I know, I'm being a little girl about the cost of rims, but this buildup is being done on a budget, and the further under budget I come in, the more money I'll have for other things like driveshafts, a winch, a cage, etc. Sorry Tim, guess I didn't catch that you could actually get black ones...so how much for 15x10's then just for comparison?

12. Silver84k5

oh yea? hmm that is a new one heh.. ive only blown one bead so far and that was my own fault, trying to bump over a ledge that was a bit tall. but What ever floats your boat i guess.

Greg had a good point, if you got such a good deal, you should think about getting yourself a set of bead locks, The allied ones are Cheap and of good quality.. just something to think about.

13. mikey_d05

Oh yeah, about the manufacturer reccomendations. They do recommend a 15x12, but usually those recommendations are "measurement rim sizes". That just means that in order to come up with the same dimensions for the tire that they did (overall width, height, etc.) that you have to put it on a rim of that dimension. Usually you can go 2 inches plus or minus in width. For example, the reccomended rim for my DD on BFG's is 8" wide. I'm running a 10" wide rim with no problems, very even wear, etc. I was just concerned because these boggers are so wide I wasn't sure if you could reliably run them on a 10" wide wheel.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Where do I find the allied beadlocks?

15. Silver84k5

hi-impact.net i belive...

theres a thread on pirate about that place.. I know sams offroad carries them as well.

16. Silver84k5

im kinda leaning towards DIY4x4 kits though..

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

:pimp: